12

The light had shined bright into my bedroom the next morning.

When I went downstairs I was greeted quickly by my father. "Good morning."

He pushed a glass of orange juice into my hand as he sat to read the paper.

We spent a slow day together in Greendale, shopping around different stores until we decided to head back to Riverdale.

Dad requested Pops, I entered the doors with hesitation. I quickly spotted him, sitting in a booth with his friends. My brain sighed his name, Sweet Pea.

I ignored his stare as I followed my father to a booth. I sat across from him, able to see the Serpents talking. Quickly enough my stares were broken off by someone approaching our table.

"Mr. Rye! It's so good to see you, Sir." Reggie smiled at the end of our booth as I glared. I was wearing a turtle neck to hide the hickey he forced onto me.

"Nice to see you, Reginald." My father shook his hand but also threw a motion with his head. His respectable way of saying screw off.

By the time he was out of ear shot my father looked back at me with a smile.

"I hate that little asshole." I couldn't help but laugh loud. Shaking my head at him as none other than Fp approached our table.

"FP, good to see you." My father smiled at the man, my heart hammered in hopes Fp wouldn't say anything about the other week of me drinking at the bar.

"It's so nice to see you, Mason. Your girls been a real treat to have around." FP put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Wish she'd come around more." He continued with a smile.

"It's where she came from, I'm glad she'll always have a place." I stared at my father in confusion, where I came from?

"Your mother was born on Southside." He smiled as if he's told me this a million times.

"What can I get you two?" My father orders my usual along with his own meal. I can't help but stare past him, locking eyes with a passionate looking Sweet Pea. Longing is all I feel. Why did he have to be such an asshole?

"So, which one is it?" He asks with a smile, he reads me like a book. I look back to him with an eye roll.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Daddy." Our milkshakes are brought back, as I take a sip my father stands. I look at him in concern as he walks towards the counter.

"Dad?" I ask as I follow him, to my shock he stops in front of the Serpent teens, Sweet Pea immediately locking eyes with him.

"You, what's your name?" My father looks at me and my horrified face, which only confirms he picked out the right one.

"Sweet Pea. Nice to meet you." His tone is even, strong as if he was expecting this.

My father nods, "I'm Mason, tell me Sweet Pea we're you the reason she cried all night?" He tilted his head at the tall boy, who's eyes flash to mine. My cheeks are bright red with embarrassment as I try to tug on my fathers suit jacket.

"I'd hope not sir." Sweet Pea looks back to my father. The other Serpents giving a quiet laugh at his reply. Or maybe it was the fact Sweet Pea hadn't told a Northsider to screw off.

"Well, at that response I hope to see more of you around." My father smiles, taking my arm to lead me back to our table.

I stare at him once we seat, "Why the hell did you just do that?"