16

Slow water dripping from my finger tips was the only thing I could hear for a few seconds

"I'm sorry you had to go through all of that." Sweet Pea basically whispered at the side of my bathtub.

"It happened. Nothing to do now about it." I tried to keep it short and contain my complaints about my situation.

"I'm serious though, Sweet Pea. I want you to stay away from him." I looked right into his eyes, almost as if I could see the fire growing as I finished my request.

"I'm territorial, Asher. He fucked with what's mine and I'll be damned if I let him get away with it." He sighed through his nose in frustration.

I stared at him for a long moment. Malachi would absolutely try to kill him and wouldn't have a second thought about it. And since when did I become his?

I had felt like his the moment he looked at me in that bar. Sweet Pea openly ready to fight for me, claiming me as his, makes my heart race in anxiety.

"Sweet Pea, I swear. If I hear that you went anywhere near him by choice I will never speak to you again. He will kill you." His brown eyes bore into mine. Saying so many things I knew he wouldn't. Frustration and sadness.

"We both know we can't stay away from each other, Princess." I leaned my head back against the tub with a sigh.

"I'm pretty resilient, I think I'll survive." He laughed at this. At the feeling of motion in the room I open my eyes quickly to him. His hand is rose in the air, close to my head.

"I didn't mean to scare you." His voice is full of concern when he slowly placed his palm on my head, smoothing out my hair.

"I'm not scared of you." I can't help the quick defensive tone.

"Well, I'm terrified of you." Sweet Pea gives me a small smile. I can't help but stare at him.

"Why? Because I killed my mother?" His face drops a little at that.

"No. You didn't kill her, you survived. I'm terrified because I find myself unable to stay away from you, Northsider. I can't help but tell myself it's only gonna bring trouble." Sweet Pea glanced back to my bathroom door as if he was thinking about leaving.

Slowly he glanced back to me, "That year, the books?" I look away from him with a sigh. I didn't want it brought up.

"The book bags were you too?" I glanced to him trying to decided whether to lie.

"The money too?" He continued despite my silence.

"I didn't ask for recognition for it, Sweet Pea. You all deserved better so I tried my best, okay? I don't want you guys saying thank you. You should have already had those things the way I did." His eyes shine but either way he nods.