Chapter Four: Little guy

I knocked on the door of the babysitters. I waited a good two minutes before She answered the door, "Sorry, I was just picking up a few things, but here he is. He was good over all, he has his fits sometimes you probably know." She chuckled. 

"Yes, I'll take him now, I have to get home and make dinner." I said giving her a fake warm smile. She handed me Rex and I waved goodbye along with Rex. I put Rex in the back of the car and buckled him up and then I got in the drivers seat and started the car. 

"Mommy! Mommy! I made a picture for you!" He beamed as he waved a paper in the air. 

"Ok Rex keep it with you ok, mommy has to drive." I gave him an honest smile before I began driving. 

"Mommy, how was work?" 

"it was good, I got to go on two missions today." I chuckled as I kept my eyes on the road. I didn't tell my son about what I did on the missions, he was to young and wasn't ready to hear about how his mother killed things for a living. 

"Two Missions, oh cool, mommy's so cool." I smiled to myself as I drove. My little son was the cutest thing I could ever meet. he had H/c Hair like me and his fathers eyes, though his father was no longer in our lives, he always had nice eyes. 

"Hey little guy, what would you like for dinner? Anything you'd like we'll have." 

"Really anything?" 

"Anything." 

"Can we have Ice cream, from the shop place!?" 

"Yes we can." I chuckled. 

"Yay!" 

As much as I loved being a single mom, there was times where I wish there was a father figure in Rex's life. And with my job, there could be a day I don't come home and he'll have to go through the system, like I did when I was younger. But I don't like to worry about that since I am still here. 

 . . . 

I pulled into the drive way of my house and turned off the car and got out. I opened the door and carefully unbuckled Rex who was fast asleep after eating the ice cream. I walked up to the front door to see it was cracked open. I looked at my son and then the door and pushed it open making a loud creaking noise. I used my heightened Senses and listened for a noise, I smelled the place and I smelt the presents of something in the back room. 

"Mommy, why are you walking so slow?" I heard my son say in whisper tone. 

"Shh, everything's fine Rex." I whispered as I placed my hand on his head protecting it. I walked further into the dark house and I heard a noise coming from the back room, Rex must've heard it also because I heard him start to cry, "It's ok, Mommy's here." 

I walked closer and closer to the door, and the noise was getting louder and louder, and I could tell it was scaring Rex, I comforted him to the best of my abilities while at the same time focusing on the thing that could be inside the room. 

I pushed the door open to reveal a low grade curse in the room, I sighed in relief and walked up to and killed with ease, luckily Rex can't see curses so all I had to say was it was nothing.

"It's ok, Rex it was just the place playing tricks, everything's fine." I reassured him as I wiped his tears away. I turned on the light to see everything was fine, I walked out into the kitchen still holding onto Rex a little worried to let go of him.

"Mommy, can I sleep in your room tonight?" Rex asked shyly.

"Yes, that's fine." I said as I set him down on the floor in the living room. 

"Mommy's gonna change real quick out of her work clothes you stay here and play with your toys." I explained to him as I set the basket of toys down in front of him. 

"Ok." 

I walked down the hall and into my bedroom and turned on the light, I quickly changed my clothes and walked back into the living room to see Rex was gone. A panic rose in my as I looked around the room. 

"Rex! where are you!" I hollered in panic.

"Mommy, can you get me my blanket." I heard Rex's voice in a different room, I followed the voice to see he was in his room reaching for the blanket that I had put away. "Oh thank goodness, don't scar mommy like that." I handed him the blanket, and picked him up and walked to over to my room.

"Mommy, do you have work tomorrow?" 

"Yes I do dear, but no missions, I have to attend to meetings." 

"The babysitter said that she had to go to her mommy's. I heard say on the phone, she said that she couldn't take care of me tomorrow."

"Well if that's true, since I don't have to go on any missions, maybe you'll get to come to work tomorrow, how about that."

"Really. I get to see mommy's work."

"Maybe, but you have to go to sleep to see." I said laying him down in my bed and tucking him in. I got into bed and laid down and gave Rex a kiss on the forehead before falling asleep.