Chapter 3: Get Out

A week had passed. You were in the tower for a week. Every now and then you would relax on the roof and let your hair flow in the wind. You loved the feeling, it reminded you of those long walks you went on when you couldn't drive to your next destination. Loki was pretty quiet and mainly stayed in his room.

*

"Y/n!" Wanda called for you.

"Yes?"

"We have to decorate your room, it looks like an asylum," she pointed at your room. It was all white, and was only filled with your tattered books, your family photo and your rock.

"Is that necessary? I doubt I'll be staying here much longer." You grumpily replied.

"Why do you think that?"

"Someone will find me, they always do."

"No they won't, you have us. We'll protect you, dove." She cooed. She started to braid your hair. It felt nice, nobody ever braided your hair.

"Your hair is gorgeous," she played with it some more and added some flowers.

"C'mon lets go show the others!" She dragged you downstairs where everyone was, even Loki.

"Ooh you look like a princess," Pietro complimented you and kissed your hand.

"Not yet," you reply. A wave of green washed over you and transformed you sweats into an simple gown.

"Lady y/n, you look Asgardian!" Thor exclaimed and patted you on the back.

"Do I? I used to have a friend who dressed like this." You twirled around once and then transformed back into your sweats. Suddenly an alarm started blaring.

"Oh shit we have a mission, kid we can't take you until we talk to Fury so you're going to have to stay here with Reindeer Games," Tony yelled over the alarm. Within seconds the team was suited up and in the Quinjet.

"Um yeah I totally consented to this." You grumble sarcastically and plopped onto a couch. You felt that shooting pain come back again. You could see Loki buried in his book but something was off.

"Stop it." You said.

"Stop what?" He asked, not looking up from his book.

"That illusion you're casting, and you're trying to get in my head." He looked at you with a shocked look which amused you.

"It must not be a very big illusion since you have those limiters on," you continued. He snapped his book shut and dropped his illusion. He looked extremely ill and disheveled. His raven hair was matted and frizzy and he had dark circles under his eyes. Now he looked like a prisoner.

"Why can't I get into your head?" He growled in frustration.

"I'm blocking you. Isn't that obvious? I mean I'm a telepath so I can do that stuff," you replied.

"Lady Wanda wasn't blocking me,"

"She must not know how, she didn't really get freedom to learn about her abilities until a year or two ago." You had learned a lot this past week staying at Avengers Tower. Wanda was your best friend and the other Avengers were definitely starting to warm up to you.

"I see." He grunted and returned to his book with his illusion back up. That shooting pain came back.

"You're so stubborn!" You winced at the excruciating pain.

"Oh am I hurting you?" He asked. No sarcasm? Genuine worry? Weird.

"Only a lot." You retorted.

"My apologies." His nose was buried into his book within a couple of seconds. You tried to read the cover but it was in a language you hadn't seen before. Boring. You turned on the tv and started to watch the news. It was the same boring crap. The Avengers saved the day. Oh a restaurant closed down. Local girl missing. That one got you. A picture of you was flashed onto the screen.

"What the hell?!"

"Isn't that you?" Loki questioned.

"Um yeah! Why does it say I'm missing??" So many questions buzzed through your head. You let your guard down without realizing it.

I'm glad you let me in. Loki's warm sarcasm rung in your head.

"Ergh get out!" You exclaimed.

Why I just got here. You had to focus on putting your barrier back up.

You're too stressed and tired. It won't work. Your eyes snapped open. They were a vibrant green, your green magic danced around your finger tips. Loki backed off.

"Relax. I was just jesting with you." He said before returning to his book.

A couple of hours passed before the team returned.

*

"Hey kid! We're back!" Tony called, stepping out of the elevator.

"Hey, how did it go?" You replied, unenthusiastically. You didn't want to show to much emotion, you didn't want to get close to them in case you had to leave again.

"It went great, and don't worry your friend isn't hurt." He gestured to Wanda who looked completely unharmed. You let out a small sigh of relief that nobody caught.

Steve and Tony worked on dinner for the next hour while you retreated back to your room. You examined your white walls, blankets, pillows and furniture. Wanda was right, it did look like an insane asylum. You decided to do something new with your powers. Focusing all your energy on the room in front if you, you we're able to colorize some of things in there. The pillows were now your favorite color and you added new curtains. It wasn't much but it was definitely an improvement.

Now you were tired from using your magic that much in one day. You curled up on your bed and started to fall asleep. This time, your dream was a happy one.

*

"Darling," a voice called to you. A girl with shoulder length black hair spun you around to face her. You were in a field covered in flowers.

"Must you go?" The girl spoke again.

"I have too, Lilly, I don't want to risk losing you, we will be reunited again my sweet," you replied. She was still taller than you despite your shapeshifting attempts.

"If you leave then I'll return home until I'm positive that I can see you again." Lilly wrapped her arms around your waist and pulled you to her.

"I will miss you." You whispered.

*

The dream faded and you were back in Avengers Tower. Wanda was shaking you awake gently.

"Ok, I'm up," you grumbled in attempts to get her to stop shaking you.

"Finally, Tony said that dinner is ready."

She lead you back downstairs where the team was. Everyone was digging into their food and chatting with one another. And finally nobody seemed disturbed by your presence. You sighed in relief and sat next to Wanda at the table.