Prologue

I stared at the burned building. Despite the fire happening yesterday, smoke still rose from the place and it stunk of ash.

I kicked a chunk of brunt concrete. The legal hoops I had been jumping through all morning made my head pound. I was beyond pissed. This was not my department, but when the firm's biggest client called, his lawyer had to answer. I caught his attention with my work and now I was stuck with him. He wanted me to work for his company, but I like my job at the moment. I was just glad that it gave me an excuse to come to Duckburg and talk to one of his scientists about something I needed for another case.

"This is gonna cost me a fortune." He was mumbling when I spotted him.

"Mr. McDuck, I'll handle this like always. No problem." I patted his shoulder to comfort him.

"And that's why I want ya to work for me, las."

"You know you're my number one priority," I winked.

"I want you to be your only priority."

"Maybe one day, Old man." I laughed, walking over to Launchpad. "Hey LP! Hello... Drake."

Launchpad was standing with another man in a purple plaid shirt, and he was holding a box labeled Drake Mallard. Apparently he had been the star of whatever movie Scrooge had been attempting to film.

"Wow, how d'you know his name? Dark magic? Oh, no, it's your lawyer skills they teach you at lawyer school," Launchpad marveled. I nodded and chuckled. "Oh, this is _____, by the way."

"Nice to meet you. Any friend of Launchpad is a friend of mine." The man gave a bright smile.

"Oh! _____ lives out in St. Canard maybe you two could hang out!" LP looked over at Mr. McDuck, who was summoning him. "Duty calls, see you two later."

"So you're moving to St. Canard?"

"Yep," he blushed. He seemed too innocent, pure, trusting, and to be honest, the opposite of me.

"Call me when you get settled in. Preferably not from jail." I stuck my card with my number in his box, as a favor to Launchpad.

He laughed, "That happen a lot?"

"More than I care to admit," I scoffed. "Now I've go to get to work before Mr. McDuck comes back and yells at both of us."

I walked away with a satisfied smirked because I knew Mr. McDuck would never yell at me. I just used the excuse to avoid awkward situations. I watched as the duck look at my card. He was the type that he might actually call me and I wouldn't be upset at that.

Word Count: 445