Random Rendezvous!

Walking home at three am wasn't smart but I was doing it. I jumped at the sound of a motorcycle revving.

"Why are you walking around dressed like that at this time at night?" Darkwing leaned over the edge of the handlebars.

"Duty called."

"No B&E I hope," he laughed.

"Not in this dress." He stared at me as I show it off.

"I like it. Purple suits you." I hummed accusingly and he shifted and changed the subject. "Need a ride?"

"I thought we were even."

"That's not how friendship works." He rolled his eye or so I assume because they were hidden under his hat.

"So we're friends." I crossed my arms.

"I mean, uh, I, um, thought we were." He fiddled with gears on his bike.

"I was joking, move. Nice to know I can make you blush though." He slide up so I could get on behind him. He took off and I half-screamed half-laughed, "Ah-ha! Warn me next time."

He chuckled and it vibrate through the machine as he speed up. I couldn't see where we were going but the motorcycle dipped as we turned and I saw the water. We were at the base of the river. We came to a haul at the base of the massive bridge.

"This isn't my apartment," I said, watching the one or two boats still out.

"Didn't say I was taking you there." He pulled something out of his belt and I turned towards him.

"That's kidnapping."

"You went willingly." He pointed out then looked upwards aiming a grappling hook and offering a hand.

"Okay, false pretenses then."

He shrugged and I took his hand. He pulled me into a hug and shot his grappling hook. My stomach bottomed out as we jolted upwards. We landed on the top of a pillar of the St. Canard Bridge. It was a clear night and I could see the whole harbor. The view was breath taken and I took me second notice Dark's arms still lightly wrapped around me.

"What were you doing by the lab?" I asked and he stepped back releasing me. I sat on the edge of the building.

"I was looking into an abnormal energy the building was admitting," he said, joining me.

"Oh, well what they do there goes over my head. I'm just there to make sure their pattons and trademarks are in order."

He nodded. We didn't talk for a long time but that led me to think about the events at the party and Drake.

"You know you were brought up at the party I was at tonight." It was blunt and open ended. The kind of thing Drake would say to me to tried to get me open up.

"Good things?" he asked.

"50/50 I think. Don't know how Ms. Scaup feels." I didn't take my eyes of the water.

"Scaups? Like Kath Scaups?" I could feel the fanboy energy he was suppressing. "How did you meet her?"

"Oh, uh, D is an actor. He's working with her on a project. Some of the actors seem to like you but she's tough one to read. The vain type clearly but something she's keeping to herself."

"Well I hope I win her over. Do justice to Jim." He seemed saddened by the his hero's name but there was something else.

"You sound like you know him. She'd like that. I think they were close." He hummed. I turned to face him. "But why do you really do this?"

He turned to me. I feel him watching me despite the hat covering his face.

"To help people." He didn't even have to think about the answer. "Why do you ask?"

"Something Ms. Scaups said." He didn't press and I thought about speaking more. How did Drake do this all the time? Though with him it seemed almost natural. I took a breath. "When I met D there was something about him that seemed pure and nice. I've never had that. He made me want to be better so I threw myself into my work recklessly. He's why I took down Acme."

"And?" DW asked curious.

"He's perfect and I don't want to lose him but everything I do puts a wedge between us. So I pushed him away on purpose, which I regret of course, but the idiot apologized like it's his fault." I laughed then hung my head. "I'm the idiot."

"____, he's not perfect." I looked at him and he looked over the water. He was unreadable. "No one is. I'm sure he has secrets and doubts. You don't have to self-sabotage something that's clearly good for you."

"Not D. He's an open book especially for someone like me, who can read people. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't know what to do with a secret." Dark took my hand.

"____," his voice was so soft, but I pulled my hand away.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have unloaded like that." He grabbed my hand and made me looked at him.

"No, I'm glad you did. You can talk to me and you shouldn't feel pressured into changing for someone." He felt so familiar and I fell into his chest.

"Why is talking to people tiring?" I mumbled, not knowing if he could hear me.

"It's three am." He chuckled lightly. I shuttered at his words and my eyes were heavy. I don't how long we sat there but I felt myself falling asleep. "____ I'm gonna take you home."

"Okay D," I mumbled as he picked me up.

He put me on the back of the bike and I forced myself to wake up. The wind in my face helped. He pulled to a stop in front of my apartment. My phone buzzed.

"Hold on, ugh." I moved to grab my phone. I gasped as I read the headline and it woke me up.

'BELOVED ACTOR "TINO IDEGEM" DIED: CAUSE UNKNOWN'

"Everything okay?" He looked over his shoulder and I sling myself over him to show him. "Oh, okay."

"It's the actor for Bushroot. I met him this afternoon." He took the phone from me and slided through the article. "He seemed perfectly healthy."

"Maybe it's one of those fake publicity stunts. Click bate or something," he muttered but kept reading.

"I don't think so." I looked at him. "Want to go check out his hotel room?"

"What? No!" His voice cracked a little and I tried not to laugh. "The place will be crawling with police and you told me to stay away for them."

"But I know you. You're going to look into it?"

"Tomorrow, once the heat dies down." He nodded, handing me my phone.

"Keep me in the loop and let me know if you need anything. I have pull with the police, unlike some people." I poked him.

"You'll be my first call." He tipped his hat and pulled off.

Word Count: 1160