Staying!

"Hello, dear!" Scrooge's voice was super loud. He was definitely a morning person.

"Mornin'." I rolled out of bed.

"You still want to work for me, right?"

"Not if you ask like that." I made my way to the coffeemaker.

"Well, I have a job for ya in St. Canard. Just a few nitty details at one of my research labs. Do you think you handle it?"

"I can handle anything, Mr. McDuck," I jump at the chance to stay.

"That a las! I'll have my secretary email you." As he hung up, someone in the background screamed, 'I am not your secretary!'.

I got the details. The building was down by Drake's favorite restaurant maybe I should; I hesitated. Why was I this big of a fuckup? The phone buzzed with his name.

"Hey you," I answered.

"Hey ____." He paused and I could tell he wanted to say something. "I wanted to apologize."

Of course he did. It wasn't even his fault, and he was apologizing. Ugh!

"Drake really."

"No. I don't have any reason to hold you back from pursuing your work."

"Drake, we both know that's not why you're mad." He didn't argue. "I've got to be downtown near that Chinese place you like. Want to catch lunch?"

I went to the building shuffled through paperwork. What was I doing here? I flicked through a mess of papers. Why did I agree to this? For Drake, I reminded myself. I could handle boredom if I was in the city. My phone buzzed again and wow, I'd been here that long? I wrapped up what I was doing and met Drake at the place.

He was already sitting when I got there and I ran in.

"Hey!" He forced a smile and my guilt only bubbled. "What's the bag?"

"Oh, that's what I wanted to talk to about." I patted it. "I'm working for McDuck at his labs here in the city."

His eyes light up. "Really?"

"Yeah, Drake, I know this is rough but," I swallowed my pride and fear, "but I really like you. I'm just used to people using it against me so it's hard for me to open up."

"You know I'm not like that." He took my hands. "I'm sorry you've ever felt that way."

"God, have I ever told you're perfect?"

"Uh no," he blushed.

"Well, you are and it's real fucking annoying." He busted out laughing. When he could breathe again I added, "Seriously, I want this and you. I'm going to be better."

"I'm glad."

Word Count: 428