The Trail!

It was the first day of the trail I didn't even go to check on Mr. Acme. I watch everyone in the courtroom. There was only press in the spector section. The prosecutor was an ass I've met before. His name was Jacob Abernaki. I wasn't sure if he was crooked, but I would not let myself get caught off guard. This time we were on the same side after all and I couldn't stand of Acme got off because of the prosecutor. I pulled a favor down at the police station. After everyone was sworn in, they brought Mr. Acme in and he sat next to me.

"Ms. ____," he nodded in mock respect.

"Asshole." I smiled, and a look of horror passed across his face. "Make no mistake. The only reason I haven't dropped you is because I won't have you bullying a newcomer."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he smiled.

The only thing holding up the trial was legal procedures. He was guilty. He was pleading guilty. I wasn't trying to hassle the judge or jury for any deals, so we had to follow the steps: call the witnesses, let them speak, show the evidence, etc. It was going to take a few days. The witnesses took less time than normal because a few testimonies would do. All I had to say was that we were not cross-examining them. I had abandoned all pretense of trying to help Mr. Acme now.

On the second day, they showed the ledgers, false and actually. It went over smoothly and I released a breath I didn't know I had been holding because if evidence came out that they had been obtained illegally and they would be illegitimate in court.

The third day Mr. Acme took the stand.

"Is it true that you threaten your own lawyer's life?" I rolled my eyes at the prosecutor's question.

"Relevance, honor?" I asked because I didn't want my business on the head of tonight's headlines, though I was probably to late for that party.

"I'll hear it out," she said. I groaned.

"That is speculation," Mr. Acme corrected him.

"Is it true that since this has been speculated, she has refused to help you?"

"Your honor! This is slander,"  I protested.

"He said speculated against your client, Ms. _____."

"Slander against me, your honor," I scoffed.

The jury laughed a little. The judge turned to the prosecutor. "Wrap it up, Jacob."

"One could say she is actively against you walking free," Abernaki smirked at me. I straightened.

"Is this true?" The judge asked me.

"Your honor, I'd have no problem watching him walk out right now, if that is the verdict, the jury decides," I snarled at the prosecutor. How much was Acme paying him?

"And you don't think it will be?" Abernaki asked.

"Jacob, you forget I'm not the one on the stand or trail. Try to remember that."

He nodded. "That's all I have to say."

"I have a question for Mr. Acme." I stood up. "Do you know Mr. Abernaki?"

Acme looked back at the prosecutor as he took a seat. He shook his head.

"I'm afraid not."

"Mr. Acme, do I need to remind you that, you're under oath?" I smiled dangerously.

"No, I am very aware," he chuckled and motioned to the stand he was sitting on. "But my answer doesn't change."

"Your honor, if I may direct your focus to piece of evidence number E-27." It was a photo of Mr. Acme's desk. I walked to the screen and zoomed into a frame photo of him and Jacob playing golf together. "Mm, now I have tons of frame photos of people I don't know on my personal desk."

"Do you want to try that again, Mr. Acme?" I asked, spinning back towards him. He growled. "No further questions your honor."

Acme walked back to his seat, and I heard him hiss at me. I was the best for a reason.

"The verdict will be delivered tomorrow." The judge dismissed us.

The verdict came back, and Acme was going to jail for three lifetimes. Triple the amount of time any of my other clients had ever. I filed all the paperwork smirking too.

Drake took me out that night. My first night free in over a week. I drank one too many and regretted nothing. Drake drug back to my apartment. My regular apartment. He tucked me in.

"Good night ____." He kissed my forehead.

"Stay." I pulled him into the bed and he chuckled.

"Move, so I get comfortable." I did, then snuggled into him. He was warm and smelled nice. He played with my hair as I laid there, and the drunk feelings turned to guilt.

"If I kissed someone else, would you want me to tell you?" I felt his hands stop stroking my hair.

"You kissed someone else?" I shook my head, but I was cold.

"I made him stop." I pulled him closer for warmth.

"I trust you ____," he whispered as I drifted asleep.

Word Count: 844