My Bad!

A phone ringing when you're asleep is the most annoying sound in the world. A phone call from the police station only amplified the annoyance. I didn't have many clients that would call from there to begin with, and that small list made me not want to answer. Let them sit till morning.

"Dan, this better be good." I rolled out of bed, already getting dressed.

"We got one that claims to be one of yours," the officer informed me.

"No shit. Who?" I pulled on pants and fell to the floor in the dark.

"Eh, that's the thing." I could hear him turn away from people. "I didn't know you took loonies, _____."

That didn't sound like my client unless they were drunk or on drugs, which is possible, but not highly. "Mm, you sure they're one of mine?"

"Yeah, he's pretty admitted about it."

I grabbed my bag and headed towards the door. "Well gonna tell me who it is?"

"He's claims to be Darkwing Duck." My hand went to my stomach, to my scar. "You know, like the old tv show."

I had a thousand thoughts at once. Was this the DW that kicked me off the Acme Pharmaceutical building? If it was the vigilante, why would he allow himself to be arrested? Surely he could avoid the police.

"Hello, ____. You there?"

"I'll be there in twelve minutes no one talks to him."

"I know the procedure."

"No, Dan. Not even you." I snapped on my jacket and summoned a car with my phone already heading down the hallway.

"Uh oh. I know you're not nice, but this dude must've pissed you off big time," he chuckled. When I didn't respond he said, "Yes ma'am."

I would've walked, but it was still dark outside. I walked into St. Canard PD. Dan handed me a file and led me to a small interrogation room. A purple figure sat in a chair and was using his hat to hide his face.

"Thanks, Dan." I patted his arm, and I sat down, flipping open the file. It laid out his charges. There wasn't anything I couldn't get him out of. I worked for the best, for a reason. I leaned back on two legs and crossed my arms. "Okay, I can get you out of this legally, but it's your job to tell me why I should?"

"I know now that it was you at Acme Pharmaceuticals. I know what you are doing to help bring them down." I dropped back down to all fours. "I'm impressed. It's been all over the news for weeks."

What I had taken from the Acme's office got half the staff arrested, but no one knew it had been me. Only an anonymous source, however, he fought me there two days before the information hit the news.

"Don't know what you're talking about. My firm works for them. It's my job to keep them out of prison." I crossed my arms.

"Which you haven't done," he pointed out.

"You're not helping your case," I growled. Losing the case didn't bother me, him suggesting I threw it did. I just did my job, granted poorly.

"I'm not trying to get you in trouble. I just wanted to apologize. I realized that my actions jeopardize what you did." His voice was apologetic and familiar. He still hadn't tilled his head up.

"Then you need to keep your mouth shut. It's not a good idea to talk about things at a police station. Especially about private matters." I snapped angrily, then sighed, trying to treat him like a client rather than letting my feelings get in the way. "Look, I appreciate what you do for this city. I'm not as black and white as most people in my field, but you know that or you wouldn't have asked for me. But you gotta give me something."

"I just wanted to apologize, and you come recommended by... a friend." There had been a pause, like he didn't know what word to use.

"Your friend must hate you because I've been told I'm a bitch to deal with," I laughed. "Next time apologize by not getting arrested and causing me paperwork."

He chuckled and lifted his hat enough or me to catch a smile. "You can't be that bad and I didn't know how else to get your attention."

"I am, and I'm sure Darkwing Duck could think something up," I said in a slightly mocking, then I stood with a sigh. "I'll handle this, but that's two you owe me and I'm not cheap."

He laughed, and I could've sworn I recognized him. "So I've heard. Thank you."

"You can go. Out the back, though. You'd do better not to trust the police." I gathered the file back together.

"Why? We're on the same side."

"Yeah, and they'd see you locked up because you're wearing a Halloween costume," I scoffed. He shifted, clearly offended. "Their wording, not mine. Besides, I rarely do, trust that is."

"What about that cop you're friendly with?" Was that jealousy in his voice?

"Difference in playing nice and actively trusting someone."

"You don't trust anyone?" He sounded disappointed.

The only person I completely trusted was Drake, so, "No."

"Sounds lonely." I could see him cringe. He raised his hat out of his face and our eyes locked. He looked like he was running calculations, and even behind the mask, he felt familiar. "You can trust me."

Weirdly, I believed him. Despite the hardness he was portraying I could tell he wasn't really this dark grim character. I reached into my pocket and handed him my card. "Next time you want to talk, don't get arrested."

He took it and nodded. I moved to the door but didn't open it yet.

"I tell all my clients the same thing. Don't do stupid shit, but if you end up doing stupid shit, find me before I have to find you. I'll go easier on you that way." I opened the door to leave.

"Good to know and again my apologies."

I spent the next three hours digging the Dipstick out of his own mess. I handed the file back to Dan when I was done.

"Wow. I thought you were mad at him, turns out you liked him," he chuckled, while taking the file.

"What?"

"You did the paperwork in record-breaking time and didn't even give him the 'I'll down grade you parolee status' speech, or maybe you did. I still can't hardly hear after the last time you gave it," he laughed, sticking my finger in his ear.

"Just be glad you're not completely deaf." I whacked him and walked out of the station just in time for breakfast. I pulled out my phone. "Hey Drake. I'm going to breakfast, want to join?"

"Definitely." He yawned like I woke him up but he sounded more chipper than he had in weeks.

Word Count: 1160