A Mind Like a Circus!

I watched the sunset alone, furious, and scared. I had almost fallen asleep when I heard footsteps. My eyes snapped open but I didn't move.

"____? What are you doing here?" Dark asked.

"I thought you were dead," I mumbled.

"Sorry I was busy," he said, sitting beside me. "I got your text. I don't know how she's a majority shareholder. Jim Starling held a twenty percent stake himself and his shares haven't come available to my knowledge. She could've had some from the original deal. It was shared equity amongst the original cast but most of them sold theirs when the show ended."

"Tino still owned 17 percent of the trademark when he passed. He was getting the largest cut from all the merchandise aside from Scrooge and Jim," I mumbled.

"We found her motive," Dark hummed.

"What I want to know is how you fit into this?" I spat.

"What do you mean?" he asked, confused.

"I saw the book we took from the library in Kathy's apartment," I said, looking at him for the first time. I showed him the photo I had snapped so he couldn't deny it.

"Are you accusing me of something?" Darkwing said in a low voice. It might have been threatening if I was anyone else.

"You're not denying it," I grunted, looking out over the city.

"I," he paused, "I went out and when I came back the book was gone."

"Someone stole it from you? Who? I was with Morgana all night and not like anyone else knows about your cave of wonder," I said, raising my voice.

"Trust me, _____. I wouldn't betray you." He placed a hand on my shoulder and made me look at him. It was one of those rare moments when I could see his eyes and instantly my anger melted.

"Why do I believe you?"

He cupped my face.

"Because you trust me," he whispered. I frowned and he gave me a wicked grin. "You're not denying it."

I shuttered and realized how close he was to me.

"But you abandoned me," I said, standing. "I think I should head home. Gosalyn is probably waiting for me."

"We need to figure out how she got the book?" he sighed, standing as well.

"Let's walk through it. Where did you leave it?" I started.

"In the car," he said confidently.

"Where'd you go next?"

He shifted and looked back out the window.

"I need to tell you something."

"Don't lie to me, Dark," my temper flared.

"For the last couple of days when I take off the mask I have no recollection of what I do. I still know who my alter ego is but not what he's doing. And he always helped me... well us by responding to you and putting the mask back on. But this time was different. He ignored your text and he almost didn't put the mask back on."

"Then why did he... you?" I asked skeptically, barely correcting myself.

I could see he didn't want to answer but he knew if he wanted me to believe him he was going to give me something.

"I didn't have a choice." It was vague and not enough. He knew and added, "My day job leads me to wear the mask sometimes."

I blinked. What kind of day job would make him wear the Darkwing mask? I shook that thought. I didn't like it but I nodded.

"My point is when Morgana first said Darkwing it must've split my personality. She might not have known she did it. But the more she says the worse the effects and I'm afraid she has said something to affect my secret identity," he said, looking at me like I might hold the key.

"She rarely says names even on set or in public I don't think," I paused.

There was no way. He couldn't be. But it would explain so much, his job requiring the mask, the fascination and knowledge of Darkwing, he knew Drake's name, and he did his own stunts. I pushed thought out of my head.

"You thought of something," he pressed.

"You're not," I took a breath, "Jim Starling are you?"

He busted out laughing.

"No. But I'll take it as a compliment," he beamed.

"From what I hear it's not," I mumbled.

"Really?" He raised the brim of his hat so I saw the curiosity dancing in his eyes.

"Yea. Apparently he was a real piece of work," I mumbled.

I remembered Kathy's words from the other night. With a jolt I stumbled backwards nearly falling off the edge of the building. He tried to grab my arm to stop me but pulled away harder. I clung to the side of the building.

"No," I whispered.

"What's wrong?" he gasped.

The only other person I knew that fit the description for my reasoning for Darkwing being Jim was the same reason Kathy picked him for Jim's replacement.

~Drake here is helping me with the Darkwing Duck remake. He'll be filling in for Jimmy.~

"Why wouldn't you tell me?" I whispered.

"____," he said, still confused and concerned.

"I know who gave her the book," I said in tears. He titled his head. "You did. Drake."

"____," he stepped closer and stepped onto the ledge, "you know I would never do anything to hurt you. Step back inside please and let's talk."

"I don't want to talk," I said, taking another step.

I was plummeting toward the water. D's arms were around me. We shot upwards. He spun us farther into the living room. His hat had been abandoned in the action and I was staring in his eyes. I tried to step away but he didn't let me.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I swallowed. He sighed and reached for his mask. I grabbed his hand.

"You can't take the mask off!" I yelled.

"Why?" he blinked.

"Because if what you're saying is true then Kathy said your name for a couple of days and you haven't been acting like yourself," I mumbled.

"What did I do?" he asked.

"You're Jim," I whispered.

Word Count: 1022