To Much Work...

I woke up, and it was gone. I would've panicked except the ledger was with Drake. The only person I trusted, probably in the world. The second it got to the police station, my phone lit up. A friend of mine at the police station called me.

"Um, looks like you're about to have shit show."

"Mm, what makes you say that, Dan?" I checked the clock, and it was a few minutes past shift change.

"You're gonna need some coffee. Information regarding Acme just came in."

"Oh, shit." I fained disstain. "Who knows?"

Who doesn't know? You, me, evidence, the news, the anonymous tipper and whoever else he told. I've taken it to evidence so they are calling your firm now." My phone buzzed, and I pulled it away from my ear.

"That's them now." I flipped the line over, and so began my life of endless paperwork.

I basically locked myself in my house and office for a week. I wasn't worried about my reputation but I had to keep up appearances I was busy but even the news knew I wasn't looking for a plea deal. No judge in their right mind would offer one. Acme had been a plague on St. Canard for some time now. These people had held needed supplies from citizens, and they gambled with their earnings. I hardly watched the news because I knew what it was about. The firm knew I was unconventional, but I had the best record so if this client went down it wasn't the end of the world. They weren't even my biggest clients.

My stomach was healing nicely as well. It was leaving a scar, though that was going to be hard to explain to people.

"Got a date?" I snapped up at Drake's voice.

I hummed, "You offering?"

"A date for the trail?" He placed Togo food on my desk. I pouted a little, walking around my desk.

"Oh, yeah. A week from now, but I'm looking forward to it. First time I've never gotten a plea deal or specialty or anything." I rubbed my hands together.

"Don't do that. You look like a villain." He swatted at my hands.

"He played me, Drake. I don't enjoy being played, you know that." I dug into the bag of food.

"Now you're making it sound personal." He was staring at me. I shrugged, and he groaned. He hated I refused to open up. "How's the stomach?"

I sighed. He had been anxious about it since he stitched me up. "I'm fine, Drake."

"It's healing, okay?" He wrapped his arms around me and placed a hand on the spot. I nodded and opened the food and stuff my mouth full of yummy takeout. "Okay, want to tell me how the case is coming along."

I could hear his frustration. Not that he was one to get frustrated easily; my wound was just something that seemed to stress him out. I spun towards him as I chewed.

"Let's talk about something fun. I've been talking about work for days."

I moved to the couch as he talked. He told me that Launchpad and Dewey were coming to visit soon. He talked about his plans for auditioning for a tv show that was shot locally. Finally, he mentioned some repairs on his motorcycle he had to do.

"You know for all your talk about this bike I have yet to ride it."

"That's because I haven't seen you go anywhere that's not your house, your office, or the police station." He hummed. He wasn't wrong, but we hadn't known each for three weeks and I'd been hurt a week of that. "I'll take you out when you're better."

"I'm not a baby. Let's go for a ride now." I grabbed his arm and whined.

"You're hurt and what about your case?" He pushed me away lightly.

"Come on. I can spare an hour for some fun. Please," I hugged him and pouted.

"After food," he said, taking another bite. I smiled, and I scarfed down the rest and waited for him to finish. I would not let him change his mind.

Finally, we walked out to his bike. It was slim and dark colored. I had seen it before but never rode it. He handed me a helmet and put it on and hopped on behind him. He immediately shot down the street and headed towards the lighthouse. No one ever really went out here. Drake must have forgotten that he was babying me because as soon as he hit the open road he started speeding. I laughed, this felt amazing. I let my arms release him and fly out to the sides. I didn't want it to end, but like all good things it must. I felt him slow and turn back towards home. I wrapped arms back around him and laid my head on his back and drifted off.

We got back, and I convinced him to stay for ice cream. We plopped down on the couch with my feet in his lap.

"_____ tell me something about you."

"Mmm, you know lots of things about me," ice cream leaking out of my mouth.

"Like your gross," he laughed. I swallowed.

"Favorite band, color, my career, etc."

"I mean about your past. You never talk about it." He C stole a bite of my ice cream.

"What like I had a pink hair phase?" I hummed into my ice cream.

"No, something deeper." I groaned. This is where Drake and I differed. He wanted to know my past, and I wanted to let sleeping dogs lay. "Like a memory."

"Okay," I shifted on the couch so I was on my knees facing him, "In college, I had these friends, completely bad influences."

"I'm sure they were a bad influence." He rolled his eyes.

"Hey!" I hit him but laughed. "Anyway, one night one of them lost their wallet in the middle of the city and drug the rest of us to find it. Plus, they were sober. I get it, they're drunk and lose it but noooo. Also, none of us were there when they lost it. We had no clue where we're going, hitching rides with strangers, and we broke into a parking garage. And in the end we didn't find it."

"Breaking and entering seems to be a running theme for you." He raised an eyebrow.

"I won't tell you anymore if you're just gonna judge," I said it while smirking.

"No, no tell me more of how your life of crime turned you into the best lawyer in the country." He laughed, but I frowned and shifted. "____ you know I didn't mean that."

He was right. I was good at this because I wasn't afraid of rough. Drake wasn't that way, and I needed to remember that. I trusted Drake, and I didn't think that being a little edgy was going to make him run. However, he was the first person in my life I completely trusted and I didn't want to ruin it.

"I've got to get back to work." I stood to put the ice cream up. He seemed taken aback.

"____ I didn't mean to offend you."

"I'm fine, D. I've just got to work." He walked up behind me.

"I wish you would stop saying that." He laced his fingers through mine.

"Drake." I spun around and hugged him. "You're the only safe I've ever had, Drake. I don't want you to leave."

"I'm not leaving and not going to push you away for opening up." I just shook my head in his chest. We stayed like that for a while. This differed from anyone else I had ever been with. Drake was different, and I really wanted him.

"I really have to get back to work." I tried not looking at him.

"Good night _____."

Word Count: 1316