Hatred to Friendship (Again)

Day 14:

Zane's PoV:

I open my eyes and slowly sit up. I stretch in bed happily noting how much better it was than the rough prison floor. I reach for my phone out of habit before trying to turn it on... still dead. I get out of bed and quickly put my hoodie and mask on.

I walk out of Aphmau's guest room and head upstairs. I glance out of the window and see the sun starting to rise over the horizon.

I stare at the sunrise until my stomach interrupts my daydreaming with a loud growl. I look around Aph's kitchen. I find some eggs and quickly start scrambling them.

After a couple of minutes, the eggs are done and I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around and see Aphmau standing behind me. "What are you doing, Zane?"

"Making breakfast," I reply setting two plates of scrambled eggs on the table.

Aphmau doesn't move. She stares at the plate of eggs in front of her with a raised eyebrow.

"Is breakfast not a thing in this universe?" I ask.

"Huh?" Aphmau responds, wrapped up in her own thoughts. "Oh umm... thanks, Zane."

Aphmau sits down and starts fidgeting with her fork. She crinkles her nose, staring at the eggs the same way she looks at vegetables.

"Sorry, in my world you like eggs," I mutter. "I could make something else for you."

"Huh? Oh, that's not it," Aphmau says. "It's just I never thought you could be nice."

Aphmau takes a bite of her eggs as I smile to myself. "That's funny."

"Hmm? How's that funny?" Aphmau asks.

"That was almost exactly what my Aphmau said before we became friends," I say.

Aphmau stops eating and looks at me seriously, "Zane?"

I hum in response. Aphmau plays with her hair as she looks at me. "How did we become friends?"

I tilt my head as I look at her. "Why do you ask?"

Aphmau flushes, "I'm just curious because..."

She stops. I look at her sadly before finishing her thought. "Because you hate me?"

"Yes," Aphmau sighs. "I'm sorry Zane but I can't understand it. I hate you so much in this world. The thought of you being my friend kinda... disgusts me."

"It's alright," I mutter. "I'm used to it."

Aphmau squirms before clearing her throat, "Anyway, how did we become friends?"

I smile softly, "It's actually a funny story. Well looking back at it I think it's funny. Umm... it was three years ago. Before that, we were enemies like you and your Zane are. We both wanted to kill each other."

"Sounds accurate," Aphmau smirks.

I hide my smile; the room immediately feels lighter despite the awkward moment. "It was a couple of days before Christmas. You-"

"What's Christmas?" Aph interrupts.

"Oh umm... Christmas is a holiday in winter." I say. "It's all about giving gifts and spending time with family and friends."

"Interesting," Aphmau muses. "Erm, sorry... go on."

"Right, it was a couple of days before Christmas. You were living with Kawaii~Chan and Katelyn at the time. Kawaii~Chan promised a woman a few days prior that she would take care of her cats. But Kawaii~Chan had to work so you and Katelyn had to watch over the woman's cats for her.