Why Not Aaron?

Day 37: MCD

Zane's PoV:

I run to Lucinda's tower and hope I'm not too late. Levin and Malachi said that the portal Lucinda made was next to her tower.

I dash out of the trees before seeing Aphmau on Lucinda's Island. "Hey, Aphmau!"

Aphmau stops before turning around and giving me a small wave.

I stumble down the decline and wade through the small moat around the island.

"Hey, Zane," Aphmau says, offering her hand and pulling me out of the water. "Do you need something?"

"Yeah," I wheeze. "I... was..."

"Catch your breath, Zane," Aphmau chuckles before giving me a questioning look. "Did you run all the way here from Pheonix Drop?"

I nod, taking a moment for my breathing to return to a consistent rate. "Yeah... I overheard Dante and Nicole talking to Dimitri that you were back."

"Yep, Lucinda made a portal, so we have open travel between Pheonix Drop and the island," Aphmau says. "But I'm guessing you wanted something else."

I grimace before nodding, "Yeah, I was wondering if you found anything to help get me home."

"Not really, Zane," Aphmau says, giving me an apologetic look.

"Oh," I sigh, crestfallen.

"But we did find a temple for Irene that looks almost identical to the one in the Irene Dimension," Aphmau says hurriedly, seeing the look on my face.

I frown, scratching the back of my head. "The Irene Dimension? That sounds kinda familiar, but could you remind me what it is."

"Sure," Aphmau shrugs. "I'm not an expert, but the Irene Dimension is basically the divine domain of the Goddess Irene."

"Right," I nod before muttering. "I suppose it's kinda self-explanatory."

"True," Aphmau chuckles.

"That's all you found?" I ask.

"Yeah, sorry, Zane," Aphmau frowns. "You might be able to find something if you were to investigate the ruins."

"You'd let me do that?" I say, a little surprised.

"Sure, as long as you have someone; keeping an eye on you," Aphmau shrugs.

"I'll keep that in mind," I say, smiling softly.

"Anyway, as much as I would like to chat I really have to get back and check on everyone," Aphmau says, apologetically. "Especially, Lilith."

"Who?" I ask.

"She's my baby daughter," Aph answers.

"Oh congratulations," I reply. "I didn't know you and Aaron had a baby."

"What? Oh no, Lilith was adopted," Aphmau said quickly.

"Ah, that makes more sense," I nod.

Aphmau turns around before pausing and looking back at me, "Wait why Aaron?"

"What?" I ask.

Aphmau grimaces before looking away. "Why did you immediately think that it was Aaron?"

"Why... wouldn't it be Aaron?" I falter.

"Well..." Aphmau hesitates, cocking her head at me. "There's Laurence and Garroth... maybe even... Travis. Why specifically Aaron?"

Wait... are Aphmau and Aaron not together in this world.

"N–no reason," I say hurriedly.

Aphmau gives me a sidewise glance. "You literally just said, 'why wouldn't it be Aaron?'"

I sigh, scratching my head. "I really shouldn't tell you... I've already said too much."

"Yeah," Aphmau nods, biting her bottom lip. "My love life was already getting too complicated."

"Sorry, Aph. But–" I grimace, thinking about how to finish my sentence. "Just because, some... stuff is happening between you two in my world doesn't determine what's going to happen in this world. Like Kawaii~Chan and Dante being together."

"I know, Za– Wait, Kawaii~Chan and Dante aren't married in your universe?" Aphmau asks.

OH, MOTHER OF IRENE!

"I should stop talking, now," I say hurriedly.

"Heh, okay," Aphmau laughs, awkwardly. "I... should be getting back now..."

"R–right," I say, shoving my hands in my pockets.

Aphmau hesitates a second before walking through the portal.

I'm sorry for my long hiatus from writing. I'm ashamed to say this short chapter took... almost six months... wow. I didn't realize it took that long. Thank you for being so patient with me and I'll try not to drop the ball like this again. Also, the next chapter will be in MyStreet.

Thank you all for over 22 THOUSAND reads!!! It honestly means the world to me.

Remember: Constructive criticism is very appreciated.

Notice: I still would love to hear your ideas for small fluff, angst, etc. chapters. I might use them and give you a shoutout at the end of the chapter