Sparring and More Trust

Day 14:

Aaron's PoV:

I watch Laurence and Dante spar. The sound of their blades striking against each other in rhythm almost like music or dancing. I notice Aphmau enter the glade out of the corner of my eye. She looks at the two men sparring in front of her for a moment, smiling to herself. Zane and Kawaii~Chan follow behind Aphmau

I feel my eyes glow red when I see Zane. The Ultima Werewolf activates inside of me. I squeeze my eyes shut as I focus on not letting my wolf ears and tail out.

It's not my Zane. It's not my Zane. It's not my Zane.

"Hey, Aaron," I hear Aphmau's voice callout from a faraway place.

"Hello, Lady Aphmau," I reply. I lightly touch my bandana, making sure it's covering my eyes before I open them. I see Aphmau smiling at me oblivious to the danger in front of her.

"Sorry, I'm a little late. I was talking to Zane," Aphmau says.

I feel a surge of the Ultima's power at the mention of Zane. I take a few deep breaths before responding, "It's fine."

Aphmau frowns, "Are you okay? You seem... I dunno... off."

"Peachy," I grin. "I'm having a hard time getting used to this Zane."

Aphmau gives an understanding nod. "I know what you mean Zane was nice to me this morning."

I raise an eyebrow, "I kinda find that hard to believe, and that's coming from a guy who just spent fifteen years in the dimension of a goddess."

Aphmau giggles before looking at me sadly. "Give him a chance Aaron he's actually not that bad when you get to know him."

I'm about to reply when Dante suddenly shouts, "What is HE doing here?"

"I think I'm needed elsewhere," Aphmau says.

I shrug, "Go save Zane. I need a few moments to myself anyway."

Zane's PoV:

Aphmau walks over to Aaron, leaving me and Kawaii~Chan alone. I glance at Kawaii~Chan. She's staring at Dante. A small frown replaces her usual bright cheery smile. I gently tap her shoulder, snapping her out of her trance.

"Are you alright, Nana?" I ask.

Kawaii~Chan turns bright red, "I'm f-fine Zane-Kun."

"You sure?" I ask tentatively.

Kawaii~Chan nods as her face slowly turns back to its normal pigment and her fake cheery smile returns. "Yep, everything is alright."

She's lying.

"Alright, but I'm always here if you need to talk about anything, Nana," I say.

Nana blushes again before simply nodding. She stays silent for a moment before speaking. "Can you not call me Nana, Zane?"

"S-sure," I say as I feel a sharp pain go through my chest. I smile at her masking the pain.

Four looks at me sympathetically before turning to watch Thirteen and Eleven. I keep my eyes fixated on her as the outside world fades away. I grip my chest as if that would stop the pain.

She's not my girlfriend. I shouldn't care.

"What is he doing here?" Thirteen shouts, snapping me back into reality. I tear my eyes away from Four and look at Thirteen.

I shrug, "Six, let me tag along."

"What?" Thirteen and Four say.

I slap my hand over my mouth. I shake my head and take a few deep breaths. "I-I... I mean Aphmau let me tag along."