Laundry and Recompense

Day 27: (MCD)

Zane's PoV:

I gently knock on Kawaii~Chan's door and wait for a response.

"Come in," Kawaii~Chan chirps from inside.

I slowly open the door and close it behind me. I smile to myself when I see Kawaii~Chan sweeping the kitchen floor. "Good morning, Kawaii~Chan."

Kawaii~Chan looks up from sweeping and smiles at me, "Good morning, Zane-Kun."

She slightly adjusts the broom in her hand before she starts twirling around the room again like she's performing an intricate dance that she created.

"Nobody's home right?" I mutter quickly looking away.

Kawaii~Chan giggles, "Yes, Zane-Kun, you can call Kawaii~Chan, Nana."

"All right, thanks, N–Nana," I faintly blush as Kawaii~Chan gives me another overly sweet smile.

She's not completely comfortable with me using her real name. She refuses to drop her Kawaii~Chan act.

I give her a sad smile as my blush fades away. I walk out of her doorway before leaning against the counter. "Hey, Nana... do you have anything you want me to do for you?"

"Huh– why do you ask Zane-Kun?" Kawaii~Chan looks at me questioningly.

I shrug as she slowly starts to sweep next to me. "I've just been thinking... since you've been helping me. I should do something to help you."

"Oh... don't worry, Zane-Kun," Kawaii~Chan smiles brightly. "You don't need to do anything for Kawaii~Chan."

I grimace. "C'mon Nana, you've been practically taking care of me– no, you have been taking care of me, since I got here. I owe it to you to help."

"You don't owe me anything, Za–" Kawaii~Chan pauses and sniffs the air. "Eww, what's that horrible musty smell?"

I slightly pull down my mask and sniff once. Nothing smells out of the ordinary. Unless she's talking about...

"Oh... sorry that's me," I mutter as I feel my ears grow hot. "I haven't done laundry recently."

"Ick– why, Zane-Kun?" Kawaii~Chan gags dramatically.

"Umm... Well, this is my only change of clothes." I grimace before looking away and scratching the back of my head. "The rest of my clean clothes are in another dimension."

"Oh– right..." Kawaii~Chan nervously giggles, looking away. "Sorry, Kawaii~Chan forgot."

"It's alright, Nana," I sigh, with an embarrassed smirk.

Kawaii~Chan sheepishly grins before a worried expression spreads across her face. "Hey, Zane-Kun, you have been taking care of yourself... right?"

"Yeah, don't worry, Aphmau told me about hygiene before she left," I hurriedly reassure her.

"Good," Kawaii~Chan nods before giving me a puzzled look. "What do you mean Aphmau Senpai told you about hygiene? Does cleanliness not exist in your world?"

"Hmm? Oh– no it's just a lot... easier in my world," I clarify.

"Al– Alright, Zane-Kun," Kawaii~Chan sighs. "Kawaii~Chan can wash Zane-Kun's clothes for him. For the meantime, you can borrow some of Dante-Kun's clothes."

"Are you sure?" I hesitate.

"Trust Kawaii~Chan, Zane-Kun. It's fine," Kawaii~Chan says, giving me an encouraging smile.

"Thanks," I mutter before remembering what we were talking about. "Ugh, see this is what I was talking about. You've been doing so much to take care of me. Let me help you in some way. Even if it's just simple like running an errand for you."

Kawaii~Chan bites her bottom lip before letting out a pent-up sigh. "Fine, fine, Zane-Kun. You go get changed and Kawaii~Chan will think of something you can do."

"Thanks, Nana," I softly smile.

"Now go change your clothes, Zane-Kun," Kawaii~Chan commands. "Dante-Kun and Kawaii~Chan's room is the first door on the left upstairs."

I nod before following her directions and going into her room. My eyes skim across the pastel pink room until landing on the wardrobe. I take a deep breath before trudging across the room, before noticing a bunch of dolls in maid uniforms sitting on a shelf.

I frown a little, turning away before my eyes land on a painting of Dante and Kawaii~Chan. I freeze staring at the portrait, the two of them are standing under a white arch holding each other's hands. I suck in a deep breath to keep myself from sobbing pathetically at the sight of the love of my life in a white dress next to another man. I squeeze my eyes shut, suppressing the urge to throw the canvas across the room. I clench my teeth before turning away and walking to the wardrobe.

I glance around the room again making sure I'm alone before slowly pulling off my jacket and taking off my mask. I open the wardrobe and cringe at the mix of shirts with dresses all different shades of pink. I heavily sigh before looking for the dullest clothes in the wardrobe.

I eventually grab a dark grey sweatshirt and black trousers. I quickly throw them on before glancing into a vanity. I look fine, I guess... but... I grimace, staring at my freckles.

I slowly pick up my mask and smell it before gagging at the awful unwashed stench. I look through the wardrobe again until my eyes land on a simple light grey scarf.

I hesitantly grab the scarf and wrap the soft fabric around my neck and lower face. It smells like Nana's sweet perfume. My lips curl up into a smile as I adjust the scarf, covering the freckles on my nose.

I look back into the mirror on the vanity. The scarf does a good enough job at hiding my freckles. I pick up my clothes and go back downstairs while still enjoying the scarf's lovely cotton candy scent.

I enter the kitchen as Kawaii~Chan finishes sweeping and places the broom in the corner of the room. "I'm back, Nana."

"Great, Zane-Kun. I was thinking that–" Kawaii~Chan stops when she sees me. "Heh, uhh... sorry Zane-Kun Kawaii~Chan just didn't expect to see you wearing her scarf."

I look away as I feel my cheeks warm up. "Heh, sorry, Nana."

"No, it's fine Zane-Kun," Kawaii~Chan giggles. "But... why?"

I shrug, toying with the ends of the scarf. "M–my mask."

"Oh, right," Kawaii~Chan nods several times before looking at me quizzically. "Hey, why does Zane-Kun wear a mask?"

"No reason," I say a little too quickly.

"Okay..." Kawaii~Chan drawls, raising an eyebrow.

"Anyway..." I mutter. "Have you thought of something I can do?"

"Oh, yeah," Kawaii~Chan nods, tapping her chin. "Kawaii~Chan is expecting a new shipment of sugar. Can you check with Logan-Kun to see if it's arrived?"

"Sure," I nod.

"Thanks, Zane-Kun," Kawaii~Chan smiles brightly.

I quickly go outside and head towards Logan's market stand.

Thank you, for over 10 thousand reads. I'm so happy that you guys are enjoying my story as much as I am writing it. Sorry for the wait. I think it's almost been a month since I last posted.

I'll try to update the next chapter soon but knowing me it'll probably take half of a year.

Remember: Constructive criticism is very appreciated.

Notice: I still would love to hear your ideas for small fluff, angst, etc. chapters. I might use them and give you a shoutout at the end of the chapter