"uhh...yeong-eo hasil...su issnayo?"

Beep, beep, beep.

My alarm clock started to scream as the time hit 5:30 am.
"Ugh five more minutes" I said groaning at the clock.

2 minutes pass and my alarm starts to scream again.

Beep, beep, beep.

I turn off my alarm and sit up. Tumbling out of bed I grab my towel and my new school uniform.

While dragging myself into the bathroom, I turn on the shower and set my clothes on the shelf aside the sink and start to undress.

"Today is going to be a good day" I say to myself looking at my tired face in the mirror and the dark circles cornering my grey eyes.

I cannot be seen as a foreigner on my first day..."if only there was a way to make me blend in more".

I looked at my long platinum blonde hair that went to my hips and then at the scissors behind me laying on top of a box.

My eyes widened as if I had the greatest idea. "Bangs! I wont look so much different, maybe just a transfer student".

I quickly grabbed the scissors, sectioned my hair and without hesitating I cut my bangs.

snip snip.

17 inches of my hair was cut off. I was too scared to look at the final results.

I slowly peeked at the short hair that went to my eyelids. gasping loudly, I start to laugh.

"I actually really like this style!"

Pleased with my new haircut, I get into the shower and finish getting ready for school.

"Kenji!...Kenji!" mom hollered.
"Ne?" I hollered back trying to grab my bag and go into the kitchen to eat.
she turns "I made breakfast and here
is-" In shock, she stares at my new bangs.

"You-" she said trembling "I really love this on you Kenji" she finally said.

"Me too! And I think it will help with me not standing out much too" I said, happy that mom approves of my new style.

"I'm gonna leave now, eomma" I grab a piece of toast and walk out the door
"Bye-"  mom said as I accidentally slam the door.

"Whoops" I lightly laugh and put in headphones while going down the elevator.

As I go down each floor I watch the screen while listening to "spring day" by BTS.

23...22...21...20...19...18...17

The elevator suddenly stops to let a young woman in.

"Annyeong" she says "Annyeonghaseyo" I bow at the beautiful woman. Her jet black hair strung down to her waist and her bright red lipstick matched her elegant black outfit. She looked like she was in her early 20s maybe a lawyer or something.

"Um.-" I stutter trying to find the right words in Korean. "Ohhh...Yeong-eo hasil...su issnayo?" I finally say.

"Ahh...Yes, are you lost?" says the young woman looking at my innocently looking face.

"Yes...I just..moved here and...I need to know where Gyeonggi...Suwon Inter...national School is" I felt so much better that she could speak english, it was like she was a foreigner herself too. She spoke so unhesitatingly and smooth.

"Ne, take bus 12, and it should take you right on to the same street as the campus on the first stop." she said perfectly without hesitating.

"Gamsahamnida!" I said struggling to tie the ribbon around my collar and walk out of the elevator not looking at my surroundings.

The young woman smiled "Let me help you" she grabbed both ends of the ribbon and loosely tied it into a bow while my cheeks began to glow rosy pink.

"Thank you, Unnie" I said trying not to let my gay panic go wild on me. "where are you from?" she asked politely.

"California...LA to be exact" I said trying not to talk to fast but also trying not to reveal that i'm blushing "Uh- what is your..name?".

"Seo Ye-ji" she answers. "we should go now or we can be late." she said guiding me to the stop.

we quickly reached the stop and sat down waiting for the bus to arrive. I sat nervously, afraid to let my rosy cheeks be exposed.

"what is your name?" she asked "Oh- Kim Kenji. It's a Japanese origin name" I said worrying she will laugh at me.

"That is beautiful I think" She answered. Struck that she didnt find my name funny I began to blush. "Still people will know i'm a foreigner at school. I cant allow that to happen on my first day".

"Many of us find foreigners to be super cute and precious, we always find many excuses to befriend people like you" Ye-ji says innocently.

"Gamsahamnida, for making me feel better." I say as the bus arrives in front of the stop.  "I will see you soon." The beautiful woman says as she starts to walk in the opposite direction while the bus slowly drives ahead.

Soon? What does she mean by that??

I start to panic at her beautiful sight knowing she is my neighbor and I will run into her every morning if I tried.