~Blood Bound~

[Brooklyns home town]

It was a sunny spring morning. The sun was shining, the sky was blue. The birds sung, the bees buzzed, the air was clean.
Yet no one felt sunny on the inside. It was the day. The day of the funeral. Sam and Brooklyn where presumed dead for over a month and a half now and the police closed the case less then a week ago. Evidence of who shot Sam where lacking. Brooklyn's DNA was splattered in a small area in the middle of the woods. The police written it off as a bear attack. Maybe a mountain lion. But they where not digging too deep. The evidence that was found near Sam's body wasn't much of a help either. A bloodied knife and a gun, only shot once. Some theorized  that Brooklyn shot Sam, that's why Brooklyn's blood was all over the knife, why there was no sign of much of a struggle. They thought Sam and Brooklyn had a fight, Brooklyn pulled a gun, Sam stabbed her in self defence and Brooklyn took the shot. Running deep into the woods to get away from the crime and being eaten alive...

Of course no one really believed that Brooklyn shot Sam. Especially their family and friends. Mr Andrews knew how Brooklyn felt about his son. Knew Brooklyn to be kind and could never imagine the two of them getting into a serious argument.
Jake was the one that found Sam on the living room floor that day. Coming home just before the sun went down from the town bar where he and Aidan where supposed to meet up hours ago but he never showed. Aidan and Alex where knocked out deep in the woods where Kyle and Astrid dragged them to to not be caught by the murder scene.

Jake looked for Brooklyn but only found her messy bedroom and turned off phone in her place. He called the police while looking around the house, the basement, the guest room, even the back garden while the police asked for information. His intoxicated brain couldn't process why Sam was laying in a puddle of blood on the floor, before he saw the bullet hole in his stomach. He felt sick, worried about where his sister could be. Sick because there was a dead Sam Andrews laying on the floor. He bearly processed that it was Sam, he couldn't believe that the guy he'd known since he was three, the guy his sister gushed about for years was laying dead on the floor and that his sister was missing.
Where was she?

The police arrived just a few minutes before his parents and Mr Andrews did. He sat on the driveway, starring into the green nothingness that was the forest while they wheeled Sam's body in the back of an ambulance. Mr Andrews broke down on the pebbled ground. Asking why? Why was his son dead? Why did he go out so horribly? Her parents where in shock at first. After they comprehended the weight of everything that was happening her mum started sobbing. Demanding for the police to go find her daughter. She was scared, both of whatever happens to Sam in their house and of the possibility that the same happened to Brooklyn. Her dad was speechless, he could only think of the way Brooklyn said "I love you dad" just that morning, and how that might've been her last words to him.
A search party for Brooklyn headed out in small groups after a few hours after they've examined the crime scene. At the time they where sure that Brooklyn was not even in the house when the crime happened. Only a few day latter, when they found her fingerprints on the knife did they realise that she could have been involved.

The search for her was going well into the night. They didn't know if she was indeed in the woods but that was the most likely place to find a body, if Brooklyn ran from the killer that is.
A body they did not find though. A huge puddle of blood sunken into the snow and mixing with the earth, surrounded by skin and red hair is what they where met with.
The police didn't let Brooklyn's family near the bloody sight. Instead it was described to them. They cried. Wept as the news was broken to them, that Brooklyn was most likely dead.

The investigation continued, the house was taken over by police and their equipment for about a week. The Lee family stayed with Mr Andrews and his now empty house. They mourned together. Hoped that Brooklyn was still alive together. Mr Andrew didn't want Sarah and Marcus to feel the loss of a child as he did. He felt broken, almost numb as he thought about never seeing Sam again. Not really believing what has happened. Was he really dead? Was he shot on purpose? But then he though about his late wife too, how her death broke Sam, how it took a toll on their relationship and how much they both missed her. He hoped wherever he was, she was there with him and that it was how it was meant to be. He slept in Sam's bed from that night onwards. Pretending that he was still there, just out late, just getting into trouble as usual. That there was nothing for him to worry about.