Part 17

Monday

GEORGE'S POV

The last period had begun. Finally, i'd get to see Cami again. I had to talk to her. We had to figure out a way to keep seeing each other.

Slowly, all the tired students started entering the classroom. Camille wasn't among them yet.
I waited and i waited and i waited, but to no avail.
She hadn't showed up and class was finished by now.

I had a lump in my throat. Not because i wanted to cry but because i just felt so let down.

I grabbed my things, got out of the classroom and locked the door behind me.

As i walk through the halls i see a couple of students leaving a classroom, amongst them is Cami.

I walk up to her.

"Hey. Cami. I-i missed you today...in my class i mean." I smile.

"Oh yeah...i-uh transfered to another class."

I furrowed my brows.

"Because of you parents? That's ridiculous."

She started walking faster, her books pushed against her chest.

"Cami."

She keeps walking.

"Cami stop!" I yell, grabbing her shoulder.

She looks at me with tears in her eyes, her bottom lip quivering.

"I-i don't think we should see each other anymore George." She says, swallowing the lump in her throat.

My eyes widen as my heart drops in my chest.

"What?"

"Goodbye Mr.Harrison."

-

I haven't seen Cami in over a week. Sometimes i catch a glimpse of her in the hallways at school, but she always flees away. It's making me feel like i've done something bad to her. Like I murdered her family or something.

I don't why she doesn't want to see me anymore all of the sudden. This can't be all her. Her parents must have forced her to this.

This is the first time i have ever truly been in love with someone. The first time and then it goes like...this. I never asked to fall in love with an 18 year-old...with my student. But it happened.

And even though Cami is trying so hard to convince me that she doesn't want to he with me anymore, i am not convinced.

-
2 weeks later, 1 week before graduation.

"That was it class. No homework. Just please, learn for the exam. Remember, you're doing it for yourselves, not for me." I say to the students that completely ignore me.

I sigh and walk over to the canteen to fetch myself some coffee. On my way back to my classroom i hear crying coming from the girls bathroom.

I try to ignore it since it's not of my business and i'm not supposed to go in there anyways.

"Oh god." I hear the voice cry.

I recognize it as Cami's.

My heart drops and silently peer into the bathroom.
She's standing over the sink, tears streaming down her eyes.

My heart aches upon seeing her like this. Why is she so upset?

Softly, i knock in the door. I know she doesn't want to see me anymore but i have to know what's wrong.

"Cami?"

Sobbing, she quickly wipes away her tears.

"Hey Cami...what's wrong?" I say, putting my hand on her shoulder.

She takes a step back. Though she tries her best not to cry, she's still crying. You know that way children cry when you tell them to stop after they've been crying hysterically? That was how Cami was crying. Except this was genuine.

I have never seen her this sad. Or anybody in fact.

I just look at her as she tries to pull herself together. I wish i could just take her in my arms, hug her and tell her everything will be alright.

Exhausted, she leans against the wall and lets herself slide down onto the ground. I lower myself to her lever. I place my hand under her chin, forcing her to look up at me.

Her eyes are red and swollen and so are her cheeks.

"I'm in so much trouble George. I really messed up big time and i can't do anything about it. Not this time." She says, her voice breaking.

"Cami please tell me what's wrong, please." I say, tears starting to well up in my eyes.

She starts crying again.

"I can't George. Especially not to you."

It kills me that she can't talk to me anymore. I want to be here for her.

"Come on Cami, maybe i can help."

Suddenly, she stops crying completely. She's just blankly staring ahead of her. She gets up ajd straightens her chlothes.

"I'll fix this. Don't worry. I-it's nothing. A-and it won't be your pr-...it's not your problem, okay?" She smiles before walking out of the bathroom.

Confused i get up. I wajt to chase after her, but she's gone. And thus, i make my way back to my classroom.

As i sit back down in my chair. I sip my cold coffee, thinking about Cami and what could have been wrong. Why was she so upset?

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when somebody knocks on the door.

"Come in." I say, clearing my throat.

"Mr. Harrison right?" A young brunette woman asks me.

I force a smile.

"Yes that's me."

"Nice to meet you, i'm Lucille." She says extending her hand.

"I will be your intern for the rest of these two weeks."

I shake her hand.

"Intern? You're also becoming a biology teacher ?" I ask.

"Yes! Next year we'll hopefull be colleagues." She blushes.

"Aren't you a bit young?" I ask.

"I'm 22. I'm not that young." she giggles.

"Ah. How nice." I say absent mindedly.

She clears her throat.

"You like coffee huh?" She asks, as i take a sip of my cup.

"I do."

"Well...would you like to get a drink with me? We could get to know each other better, seeing we'll be spending a lot of time together." She blushes.

I mentally slap myself as i see where she's going with this.

"Sure...why the hell not."