21. Double Take

Somehow, Richard seemed quieter at the breakfast table today. He didn't talk as much as usual, in fact, he barely talked at all. In all honesty, the silence was incredibly peaceful. However, curiosity continued rising in me as I wondered why the usually hyper male was so quiet today. I may have only known Richard for two days, but such silence was usually impossible to achieve with the young man around. Even Felix seemed to be getting uncomfortable with how silent his cousin was, despite the fact that he usually seemed to enjoy peace and quiet at least two times more than myself. That being said, I had a feeling that he already knew why his cousin was acting this way, which was what lead to the foul mood in the first place.

"This silence is kind of unbearable..." Star's presence grew stronger in my head, clearly bored but not wanting to be the one to break the silence. Oh well... looks like I'll be the one doing it in the end.

"Ok Richard, what's up?" I finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Jacky sprained an ankle." He replied.

"Jacky sprained an ankle?!" I looked around, only now noticing that the Jackelopp wasn't with its trainer.

"This morning they decided to dance down the stairs while singing that song from Frozen." Felix grumbled. "I tried warning them but they wouldn't listen."

"It looks like we won't be able to attend that contest." Richard sighed. "Oh well... there's always the next one I guess..."

"I see..." I replied, not really knowing what to say.

Silence reigned once again for the next couple of minutes.

"Hey Richard." It was Felix this time who broke the silence.

"Yes Fels?"

"Have any contest rules changed since two years ago?" Felix questioned.

"Huh? Why'd you ask that? No I don't remember any rules changing. It's still the same formula from what I remember.

"I... I see..." the blue-haired boy replied. Topaz had been listening attentively to the conversation, and seemed almost as though he was about to burst with excitement.

"Emily... you don't think?" Star asked telepathically.

"We may have just succeeded." I replied the same way. Excitement was starting to build up as I wondered if Felix was really ready to take the first step.

"Would you train me cuz?" Felix finally asked, and Richard looked at him with a confused explanation on his face before doing a double take.

"Wait a second..." the young man somehow pulled out a calendar from his pocket, checking the date. "This is an April Fools Day joke right? No... that can't be right... it's not April First. Also, how long has it been since you've called me that? Two years? Three?"

It was mild, but I had a feeling that I could see a small amount of embarrassment on Felix's face. Topaz was outright cringing, face pawing at the conversation.

"Never mind..." the racer attempted to retract his statement. He looked as though he was rethinking all his life choices in that one instant.

"What do you mean 'never mind?' You aren't seriously telling me that you've decided to join a contest... right?"

Felix just kept silent, and I believe he was trying to save himself from further embarrassment.

"Hey! Come on Fels! I need to know! Are you thinking of joining that contest?" Richard continued pushing.

"Yes..." Felix replied softly, seemingly ready to vanish into a black hole.

His reply stunned Richard into a few moments of silence.

"Alright then, I better get ready a training schedule." Richard seemed to have returned fully back to his normal self.

Felix seemed conflicted by his response, and Looking at the two of them, I had a feeling that today was going to be a long day...
————————————

"So, first things first, we're going shopping." Richard announced.

"Again?" Felix complained, probably thinking about the happenings of last night.

"Well, it's kind of important." Richard claimed as he headed into a clothes shop; me, Felix and Topaz following behind him.

Winter and Star had decided to stay back at the hostel to provide Jacky with some entertainment. However, I knew that Star would still be able to comment on whatever we did while they were having a game of none other than exploding kittens. That is, if she wanted to.

"So, why are we here?" Felix questioned.

"Well you know, to get your contest outfit?" Richard replied.

"That's not compulsory." Felix replied flatly.

"It helps to give a good first impression." Richard tried to reason with his cousin.

"No thanks." Felix insisted. "I'm fine with my checked jacket."

"I mean... you do look formal with it on but..." he sighed. "What about a tie?"

"No thanks."

"Fine, I give up." Richard seemed to be about done with the conversation. "What about something for Topaz instead?"

"No thanks." Felix replied, and Topaz whined a little.

"Oh come on..." the lionblitz protested. "I was hoping for a bow tie."

I spotted a checked red and blue bow tie nearby, picking it up and placing it on Topaz.

"Emily, what are you doing?" Felix questioned. I adjusted the small bow tie, taking a good look at Topaz. Somehow, the bow tie made the lionblitz look more formal and cute at the same time.

"Ok... I think I take back my earlier statement. I'll get Topaz a bow tie." Felix continued after seeing Topaz wearing the small bow.

Topaz cheered, and I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"What did I miss?" Star's presence finally arrived. "Wait is that Topaz with a bow tie?! That's illegally adorable!" I smiled at the yellow bird's words, knowing that she'll have a lot more to say to Topaz when we returned to the hostel.
————————
Author's note:

Ok so someone's actually reading this...?

Welp... I don't know if you'll continue reading this but... here's something that's been hidden in my drafts for months as a thank you.