15. Star's plan

I continued looking through the research papers in front of me, getting a little frustrated. There was literally nothing that could help, and we had been going through paper after paper for hours. Felix was beside me, going through another stack of papers. Topaz and Winter were sleeping on the floor, apparently tired out by boredom. Star was typing on a keyboard, seemingly intrigued with the fact that whatever key she pushed down would allow its symbol to appear on screen. I returned back to my papers, groaning slightly.

"I'm sorry... we don't exactly have a lot of information..." one of the Nightshades seemed to have noticed my unease. "Its only been two years since scientists started studying Glowstaride."

I nodded a little, knowing that there wasn't much they could do either.

"You know, you've got a pretty rare specimen there." She gestured at Star. "To date we have found four specimens of Glowstaride... and for some weird reason they all died within a matter of months. Yours seems extremely healthy, however, and according to you it has lived a lifespan of at least a year, making it the longest living Glowstaride known to mankind."

I gulped, thinking through the scientist's words. Had the rest of the Glowstaride died due to evolution?

"There's a chance." Star replied via our telepathic communication system as she landed on my shoulder.

"It's fine Star, I'll find you that stone, I promise."

"Em..." I felt Star fidget a little on my shoulder. "I think... I think we should just give up on the stone."

"Star what?" I tried not to make my shock visible, flipping another page of the research papers.

"I mean, we don't know where the stone is and we don't know how to find it. We don't exactly have a place to start Em. Besides, I would rather spend my last days actually doing what I love to do rather than trying to find a stone that we may not be able to find in the end. Besides, if we keep searching, I'll have no time to write my will."

"Star this isn't funny."

"I'm not trying to be!"

I flipped another page, trying to calm myself down. "If that's what you really want..."

"Em... nothing is permanent or infinite. Every living thing would have to go some day. In my opinion, I would rather live my life to its fullest rather than think about the end and waste my life worrying about dying. What's the point of life if you're forever thinking about death?"

I sighed, Star was right. There was nothing I could do about the current situation. Besides, I guess it would be better being happy with Star while she's around rather than worrying about her half the time and making the entire crew unhappy. That alongside the fact that all the trouble may be for nothing in the end. "I get your point Star."

"Good." The bird replied.

"So since you're the leader, what do you suggest we do?"

"I suggest we get started on my bucket list."

"Of course..."

"Firstly, I want to see those stones you talked to."

I stiffened up just a bit, trying to keep up my act. "How did you know about those... oh. How many times must I tell you not to read my memories?"

"They're interesting!" She protested. "And yea I know that I can't see them anyways... you threw them away three years ago."

"Then why ask?"

"Cause why not?"

I resisted the urge to sigh, flipping the research paper once more. "What else is on the list?"