3. The giveaway

"So, you want the Darkrancruel?"
I questioned a young girl. She nodded vigorously and I turned to her parents for consent. They nodded back in reply, signaling that they didn't mind adopting the Spiritmal.

"It's all yours then." I placed the darkrancruel in the girl's arms. She squealed a little, petting it and cooing at it softly.

"Thanks Ms Emily." The Darkrancruel smiled happily as he got a lift to his new trainer's house. "I won't ever forget you!" He waved one of his eight legs, before focusing his attention on his new owner.

I smiled, having a feeling that they were going to work out. Was this what Jane had felt when she had given me Star?

I shook my head, focusing on the next child in line. I was met with a grinning John, our parents behind him.

"Hey sis!" He called out happy, holding Crunch in his hands. "I'll like to adopt this wolfabeast please."

"Crunch? Ummmm..." I hesitated for a moment, wondering if I should tell him how that pesky wolfabeast would raid my refrigerator whenever he got a chance.

"He tends to... eat a lot." I simply explained.

"I know!" My brother grinned. "I caught him trying to eat the sweets in my pocket. Isn't he just the perfect companion for my dream of opening a Spiritmal friendly cafe or restaurant?"

"Uhhh... mum, dad, are you sure you can handle this?" I asked my parents.

"Of course we can!" My dad grinned at Crunch. "Right mum?"

"Totally." My mother agreed.

"Ok then..." I agreed as well, watching as my brother punched a fist into the air.

"So, happy birthday." My mum spoke up.

"Thanks." I quickly replied her, wanting to help the family behind her adopt a tricolor wolfabeast.

"Would you be staying for dinner?" My mum asked, noticing the family and walking out of the queue so that the next family could adopt their Spiritmal as well.

"I don't think so, I've places to be." I replied.

"Oh." She seemed a little disappointed. "So, how are you doing honey?"

"I'm doing well." I replied her. "It can get busy at times but I kind of like my job."

I turned to face the family after the tricolor wolfabeast and noticed that the next one wanted to adopt a Turtotle.

"Turtotles could live for a long time. This one is most probably going to be in your family for a few generations. Are you guys fine with that?"

"We're good." The father replied.

I nodded my head in response, signaling that they could keep the Spiritmal.

"Your job suits you." My own father remarked.

"I guess." I replied.

Just then, Emma came rushing in, still with Winter in her arms. "Mum! Dad! You're here as well?"

"Yep! We adopted Crunch!" John showcased his wolfabeast.

Winter perked up instantly.

"Your family adopted Crunch?!"

I nodded.

"Good luck to them. They're going to need it." Winter wiggled out of Emma's grasp, jumping onto my knees.

"Is this cutie your spiritmal?" My father questioned, petting Winter a little.

"Yea. Her name's Winter." I replied.

"We would like to adopt this Spiritmal please." A lady spoke up. I turned my head to face them, surprised to see a familiar looking Lionblitz in their hands.

"Sorry miss, this one's not up for adoption. It already has a trainer." I explained to her, turning my attention to the lionblitz.

"Topaz! What are you doing?" I asked the lionblitz. "Felix would be freaking out by now!"

"I hope so! I'm trying to prank him." The lionblitz replied.

I facepalmed, apologizing to the mother for the mix up.

"Hey Emily, have you seen..." I heard a voice behind me, looking in that direction to see Felix staring directly at Topaz.

"Oops." Topaz muttered, walking back to its trainer.

"So this is your spiritmal." The lady commented. "Are you ok with finding another? Sweetheart?" She asked her daughter.

"Ok mom..." the child replied, looking rather down that she couldn't have the lionblitz.

"Who's this?" My own mother asked. "You must know him, to know that this spiritmal belongs to him."

"This is Felix." I introduced him. "We met on my travels."

My brother blinked, as though he had suddenly realized something. "Oh my god, now I know who you are. You're THE Felix! That cool racer that won the last two races. It's you! Right? Right?!"

"Ummm... yea?" Felix replied awkwardly. Not exactly knowing what to say.

"Gosh sis! You didn't tell me that you were friends with THE Felix." My brother was jumping up and down, Crunch still in his hands.

"I'm hungry..." Crunch whimpered. "Can we get all this intro stuff done and go get something to eat?"

I slid Crunch a piece of food while no one was looking so that he would stop nagging, which was easy considering that my parents were asking Felix a ton of questions like the crazy fans they were.

I chuckled a bit at the scene, returning back to work.

It was then, I felt something weird at the back of my mind. It gave me a bit of a headache. However, it was gone as fast as it had come.

"Em? Remember me?" A familiar voice pipped up at the back of my head.

I looked up at the sky, hoping to see a flash of yellow. However, I saw nothing, making me wonder if I had imagined it.

"I'll be with you soon Em!" The voice pipped up once more. "Just give me some time, I'm still zooming through space."

So, I wasn't dreaming after all.

"Emily? Hello? Earth to Emily?" Felix's voice brought me back to reality.

"Sorry, I got distracted." I answered quickly, helping the next family adopt their Spiritmal. "Where's my family by the way?"

"They left a few seconds ago as their wolfabeast had gotten hungry." He chuckled. "Crunch sure is a good name for him."

"Yea..." I replied. A twitter of jealousy sounding in my mind...

"Emily? Hello?"

I blinked. "Sorry, did I zone out again?"

"Yea..."

He fell silent for a while, watching as I helped the Spiritmals find new homes.

"It's Star isn't it?" he finally asked. "You only ever zone out like that when she's talking to you."

I nodded silently, confirming his thoughts.