29.

Caribbean Dialect Included

It was a new week in Spencer and in one household, a wife prepares breakfast for someone other than her husband. The thought of it makes her smile and actually think about the future. Needing to hear his voice, she fished for her phone out of her pocket and pressed the call icon. It's always funny to see his name being at the top of the most recent list, ninety percent of the time.

"Morning, kitten. How are you?"

Even though he couldn't see it, she knew that her husband knows her reaction to his deep voice so early in the morning.

"I'm great. How's everything?"

"The job is done. I may be home by Thursday. We need to tie up some loose strings after the kid's job. We didn't expect it to be so messy," he replied.

"It's still hard to grasp that everything connected, even here."

"I know right. Ace told me of a little problem while I was away. When I get back, I will deal with it. So.... have you decided? You know I will go along with whatever you want." Bryan has always been that considerate, selfless partner since they were in high school. When he looks at her, Katie knows she has his whole attention. He remembers the small details of things between them and works to give her a charmed life. 

"Staying," she simply said.

"Very well. I will...."

"B, I can do it. You have a lot on your plate. I'll be fine," she interjected. He was about to take over her part in the temporary move when he had more to handle.

"Kitten, I don't want you to be stressed when shit goes wrong," he whined.

"You're pouting, aren't you?" she asked trying her hardest not to laugh.

"Pshhh. No. Grown men don't pout."

"My husband Bryan Winshall do pout when I stop him from spoiling me too much." 

"Your husband is a fucking simp."

She couldn't help it. The boisterous laugh that escaped her can be heard on the entire ground floor. Bryan's laugh mingled with hers, making it more amusing.

"Yes, you are. So I will let you go now. Careful on your side and I will get things started here." From her peripheral, she spotted Shaun entering the kitchen with a nervous smile on his face. Katie and the others weren't extremely close to Shaun like the others since he opted to stay out of the popular group but they care for him as their own little brothers.  Motioning him to take a seat at the already set table, she saw first hand the effect the little gesture did to him. 

"Okay, kitten. I love you," Bryan said, bringing her back to their conversation.

"I love you too."

Ending the call, she quickly plated their meals and delivered them to the table. "Coffee or juice?"

"Uh, coffee," Shaun answered, taking a bite of the frittata. 

Katie smiled at how adorable he was. Upon agreement between themselves and the Johnsons, helping Shaun finish high school was a top priority. When he was released from the hospital, Elijah didn't waste a minute and brought him to the house. Katie felt useless when she saw how worried and agitated Elijah was for his friend. He helped him settle into the guest room and it was by accident when delivering fresh towels, she overheard the two friends in an emotional conversation.  It brought back memories of her individual conversation with Isaac after his hospitalization. Their friendship was beginning back then but his near absence did rock her.