6.

Harem

Any guy or girl will agree with me by saying being in love with your best friend sucks, big time. Whether you're the nerdy dependant one or the cool outgoing one, you can be still be shoved into the friend zone. I know I've been in this zone since the 7th grade unknowingly by one blonde-haired brown-eyed girl named Selby. My best friend.
When I first met Selby, I thought she was the most amazing girl ever, she still is. Kind, loyal, down to earth, a hell of a gamer, and just simply gorgeous. I never thought I will see her again after the impromptu summer camp trip when we were eleven but things worked out after all. Auntie J and Uncle Eli including cousin Mari spoke to my folks and Mischa's to let us transfer to Spencer. Our parents were apprehensive at first but my bullying and Mischa's role of being my protector were causing a lot of tension within our homes. I was happy to move to Spencer. Elijah was more like a brother to me, he helped me become social after I got my hearing aid, taught me different things, and even helped me experience life as a kid. Mischa was happy to leave our old hometown. He always said the kids pick on us because of our family notoriety. Aside from our uncle and aunt being billionaires, our folks were huge successes in their own fields, whether it's in the food industry, medical field, or business. The Johnsons made their mark. 

Meeting Selby that summer brightened my mood, chased away my worries. She didn't treat me differently when she saw my earpiece, she simply asked mundane questions before thinking of things for us to do that won't be too much on me. I was still trying to adjust to the outdoor ambiance and get my speech perfect. 

"Ah, shit!"

Selby's annoyed curse broke through my thoughts. Looking up from the laptop I was working on, I saw her lying on the floor with a pissed-off look on her face. Her teammates were rushing to her side but I was the first to reach. "I'm fine you guys. Missed a step, that's all," she said aloud, waving off her friends. She turned and graced me with a soft smile. My heart was now slowing down after the minor panic of her actually being hurt. 

"I'm fine, Remmie," she said softly. A soft heat came upon my face. There were a few moments in the years of our friendship when she calls me Remmie. Those moments are when she's in a good mood or feeling vulnerable and contemplative. 

"Still haven't nailed your routine? You've been practicing so hard over vacation. I had to beg you to rest," I returned, sitting beside her as she sat up. 

"A lot is on my mind, I'm just a little off."

For over three months, I wanted to say. "Wanna talk about it?" I opted for.

"Not now, Rem. You're really a good friend, you know that?" 

There was the stab to the heart, this time it went deeper because of the brotherly punch that accompanied her words. Though I heard the words over and over, this time it pissed me off but I kept calm. "Yup. Good old Harem. Meet me at the car when you're through. Need to pack away my stuff," I muttered. Not waiting for her response, I got up, collected my things in the far corner of the studio, and left with her teammates' sincere and friendly goodbyes. I shouldn't be angry, she doesn't know I love her, on top of that she has a boyfriend who's a total asswipe by the way. I know her distraction is probably due to the jock, the guy was off and she's too blinded by his charms to see it. He's a narcissistic, conniving cunt with anger issues. Raine and Ayanna voiced their concerns even Mischa but our Selby always sees the good in everyone and always accommodating. What can I do to protect her? He may hurt her emotionally if not, physically. Something's gotta give.

..... And it may be right in front of me. 

Didn't Derek say his football practice was canceled? So why is his SUV at the far side of the car park with him at the back door of .....