30.

Caribbean Dialect Included

What a ride! 

Elijah Johnson was mentally and emotionally tired. The past few weeks placed his resolve in test and gave his anger some breathing room. It was the weekend, and the group was gathered at the Hector/Johnson home having an impromptu pool party. Sitting beside him on the loungers were Harem and Mischa. It's been a while since they found time to themselves to enjoy their bond as cousins. The school term took an unexpected turn, but it wasn't seen as a bad thing. It's their senior year, they were leaving their high school lives behind, and it's time for them to find their own paths.

"Was I being selfish asking you two to move to Spencer?" Elijah asked, breaking their blissful silence. 

"Yup!" Harem answered.

"Hey!"

Mischa chuckled at his cousin's new topic to start bickering. Though he wasn't majorly part of the group any longer, he took note of Harem's growth. He was no longer hiding behind them with the fear of being ostracized caused by his disability. The cautious kid he always protected was now in a happy relationship, assertive when needed, and confident in going out now. 

"H, stop teasing him," Mischa called out.

Harem grinned at Elijah and playfully nudged him. "There's nothing wrong in being selfish. I was fricking happy to get away from there, my parents too. They were at their breaking point with the school and my bullies. If dad was a tyrant, a lot of people might have been without a job. So it was a great chance you offered me. I have a great girl, crazy-as-hell friends, and a future to look forward to. Thanks, cuz," he said honestly.

"It's more or less the same for me. Though my side of the family is for Colorado, staying in New York with the family made me restless....." Mischa began.

"Plus, you being my bodyguard," Harem said with a rueful smile.

"It's our job to protect each other. I wasn't playing bodyguard.  As I was saying, your selfish decision wasn't a bad one.  I learned more about myself and what I want to do. Though I hurt someone I cared about, the decisions I made were of my own volition. I do regret hurting Ayanna, but I'm glad that we worked past that," he ended.

"Do you still have feelings for her? You still get that peevish look on your face when we mention her with someone else," Elijah commented nonchalantly. Harem was too busy trying to hold back his amusement while Micah tried to figure out how the talk about feelings popped up. His always laidback, quiet cousin slowly ate his chips, waiting for him to answer as he ogled his girlfriend in the pool.

"Straight out of the left-field but okay. Ummm... I am still attracted to her as any man would but relationship, wise-no. I don't think I'm ready for a steady relationship like you guys. If I confess to her that I have some feelings for her over the summer, I don't think things would have worked out. I can't resort myself to settling down as yet," he answered honestly.

"Look at you being thoughtful and shit. Mama got to you huh," Elijah commented. 

"Tonguelashing of the century, manual labor, and a few smacks upside my head. Aunt Janine is scary as fuck," he returned, rubbing the back of his head to ease those phantom pains.

"My mama is a gem; I don't know any other side of her."

Harem and Mischa rolled their eyes in amusement, the only son of Janine and Eli Johnson was considered blessed by the media. The cousins thought so; also, he was a person you would want as your ally. "Shaye, on the other hand, will be raised by both sides of mama. The damn kid is a demon," Elijah commented with a shake of his head.