31.

Caribbean Dialect Included

Waking up on the wrong side of the bed won't describe the uneasy yet irritable feeling Erica was experiencing. A new week for school and Mondays usually turns out fine for her but reading that 'mistake text'- that's what she dubbed it - made her night now day foreboding.

 "Wam to you?"

 Erica managed to mumble the words morning as she entered the kitchen for breakfast. Her father spotted her coming in and paused after seeing her death walk. 

"Dah girl message me on Facebook," she answered as she prepared a cup of coffee. Not everyone can make coffee to a specific liking, and she had a certain method in making it her special way.

 "Ummm yuh sister, right? Giselle. Wah she want?" Julius asked, putting all his attention on his daughter. After learning how she was treated back on the island, his protection level for her grew immensely. Her mother severed all ties to her after Erica bravely reached out to her, and now her half-sister was reaching out to her. It was suspicious. Thinking it over, he got a hint as to why she was contacted. "Wait. Elijah post up anything with you?" he asked.

"I ain't check it out yet, but he post up ah selfie I took with his phone when ah was playing with his pets. Since we made it official, we agreed on one pic, and I guess she saw that. He ain't tag me doh but ah sure it popular by now," she answered nonchalantly.

  "So de fame card she wanna use den, as expected. Wah you guh do?" he asked plating their meals.

 "Ignoring it was de plan but she have dis ego jed. Ah will deal wid she later," she said taking a small sip of her coffee. Julius chuckled when she made a contented sigh and praised herself for making a good cup. 

Putting aside that minor issue, Julius started a new topic on their thanksgiving trip and her plans for after high school. He made it clear that he won't force her into college or work; the decision will be hers. He witnessed too many classmates who were forcing themselves to learn about things they had no interest in. Not only that, the 'tradition' - and he uses this term loosely- of kicking kids out to be an adult when eighteen without the proper help. His parents nurtured them all since they were in a new environment that pushed him to continue his love of cars and leave home, well, the state. Julius wishes the same with his child.

 "College always dey and so many things to learn in dis country. I was thinking to go back to Tobago for a while then come back an' see more of this country before ah decide," she commented.

 "So, like a country-wide trip?"

 "Yeah. Ah, wanna see de places Josh Gates visit here. Yuh know de show Expedition Unknown at ah like? Those places."

 The excitement she spoke with only made him quietly plan on sponsoring this trip of hers. Since arriving in the US, he will admit to visiting three states outside of the one the family decided to live in. The traveling spirit must have missed him and went on to his little girl. He won't stop her, but her safety is what he will worry about. It's still early in the planning, the talk of a companion will come up soon. 
After breakfast, they both got ready to start the day. Knowing Elijah will be arriving soon, Julius said his goodbyes to her and left the house through the side door. Backing out of the garage, he saw the familiar SUV pulling up at the curb in his peripheral. He waved at the driver when the blare of the horn sounded. Elijah hopped out of the SUV and gave him a very enthusiastic greeting before going up the staircase. This was their normal routine. The front door was unlocked in the mornings, knowing Elijah pops up at any hour after the sun rises. The kid made his daughter happy, and that's all that matters. God forbid anyone who plans to destroy that.