Chapter 12

Izuku and I shared a glance, one that told me he was thinking something I could never understand without him saying it aloud.

I almost considered calling him over, asking what he was thinking as we took off back into the disintegrating city before us.

Until the ground started trembling.

The two of us had wide eyes, losing eye contact as we glanced around with frazzled expressions. The entire arena was shaking from the ground up, explosions littering every corner of my eyesight as the medical heroes behind us gasped in fear of their tents falling.

"The villains have created another large-scale attack."

"Everyone, this is part of the exam!" Izuku turned over his shoulder, barking out as everyone turned to watch him.

"You think so!?" I looked down, finding the voice of Shindo as he watched Izuku carefully.

"What else would it be?" I asked.

Suddenly, I was almost knocked onto my ass from the sudden tremor of the ground, turning as I saw Gang Orca staring back at me with snide eyes from atop a mountain of rubble. All I could think about was that if I had chosen him to intern with; I would be going against my teacher right now.

"Tell me, wanna-be heroes... Can you rescue people and fight at the same time!?" He stared down at us, towering over everyone here as his beady red eyes tore us apart like lasers.

"Gang Orca..." Izuku muttered. Suddenly, Gang Orca closed his fist and an onslaught of minions dressed in black and white bodysuits came running down upon us.

"Terrorists have appeared and are beginning to sweep the area. Hero candidates at the scene should continue their rescue efforts while also suppressing the newly arrived villains."

Gang Orca appeared before us in a much closer vicinity, a menacing glare on his face as he threw his cape over his back. "Now, how will you react? Will you fight or protect? Help or run away? What would a hero do!?"

"Well... Deku. You said it best," I hummed.

"Huh!?" He walked over to my side, glaring down at the villains running straight for us.

"Our quirks are best suited for fighting."

Beep.

Suddenly, Shindo tugged on my shoulder as he pulled me back from moving. I watched him take off in front of us, yelling at Izuku and I to move the patient's back, giving him more room to work as he pressed his palms into the concrete below him.

"I'll start hammering away at the henchmen at one-second intervals," I turned, watching the dirt blow up at Shindo's work and the men went flying. Izuku slipped somebody onto my back slowly, watching my face as he tried to make sure I was okay before he grabbed somebody and the two of us took off running without another word.

Suddenly, Gang Orca appeared, and with a strong gust of wind; Shindo hit the ground almost as if he had been paralyzed. "A single rearguard to hold us back!?" Gang Orca asked. "You've underestimated me."

Izuku and I shared a worried glance, looking back at Gang Orca who appeared to now be marching straight for us. "I can't do anything with them on my back, Izuku," I muttered. Just as Gang Orca prepared to release another attack similar as he had done to Shindo, I watched as it was blocked by an onslaught of ice that created a wall between us and the villains. "Shoto!?"

I turned, watching my classmates begin to spring over the mountains in the distance as they approached Izuku and I as they slipped the weak civilians off our backs. "Yagi. We thought we lost you," Ojiro smiled.