Chapter 22

Song Recommendations

Home by Danny Knutelsky
Rainbow Connection by Sleeping At Last
Six by Touching At Last
Salvation by Gabrielle Aplin

———

-Izuku's POV-

At some point or another, I'd begun to wonder if she was still alive in the shower.

I'd stood in the kitchen with my back pressed to the countertops and my arms folded for what had felt like an eternity. There was no sign she was up and about or even breathing from just a few doors down. If I listened close enough, I could still hear the water running with the same pittering pattern it had had for the past two hours. I could've sworn the first aid kit to my left had begun to collect dust so I began battling with myself on whether to break the bathroom door down or not.

The pot of coffee is what brought me back to my senses. It smelled like Hazelnut and Toffee, a flavor she had always asked her father to pick up when he went to the store every Sunday at noon. She hadn't even been able to drink coffee due to the different antidepressants they keep throwing her on, but All Might kept buying the coffee regardless. He even had it laid out by the coffee pot too, which meant he had expected her to come by the house before going to the dorms.

Asami never took her antidepressants. I counted every morning and she was only missing one, claiming it had made her too sick to eat and numb to even pay attention in class. I didn't try to argue and force her to take it, so I was left counting the pills every morning to see if any had gone missing. I don't know why I kept expecting her to finally take them, she never even took pain meds when given the chance in the hospital.

That's just how she was.

I don't know when I had started moving, but I had the first aid kit in my left hand and my right hand knocking on the bathroom door before I could process what exactly I was doing. Once there was no response, I tried calling out to her. "Asami!? Can you hear me?"

Nothing.

"Is it okay if I come in? I won't look or anything."

Still, nothing.

"Okay, I'm just going to open the door."

When I turned the knob, I noticed she hadn't even bothered to lock it. When I slipped in, the humidity immediately had me sweating as I set the first aid kit onto the bathroom counter. It remained cold, a pretty periwinkle that All Might told me he had picked out around her sixth birthday. Supposedly, she had a phase where she was obsessed with the color and he thought it would be a nice touch for the bathroom when he could finally approach her.

I thought maybe I could hear her breathing, but maybe not. I wasn't sure of anything with her right now. I didn't know where my place was with her. Had I ruined everything? Did she hate me? Does she want to work it out? Does she want space? Does she even want me? Should I call someone else?

At one point, I glanced over my shoulder to find her sitting on the shower floor. She was still wearing her clothes, the black substance and the dark red color of blood still rolling off her body like fresh paint. She had her knees tucked into her chest, her arms crossed and her head lowered so that I couldn't see her face.

She looked tiny in that shower. As large as a bathroom and tall as the dining room. The benches and glass doors towered over her, making her seem like she was just a high school girl who got dumped by some trashy ex-boyfriend. But no, she was Asami Yagi and she was capable of more than anyone else I had ever met. She would never be just some high school girl.