Chapter 16

Song Recommendations

Seperate by PVRIS

Six by Sleeping At Last

Talking To The Moon by Bruno Mars

———

-Izuku's POV-

I don't know how long I stood there, staring at the tree line I had watched her disappear into. It still smelled like her, like freshly picked flowers thick with traces of lavender and ripe oranges. I could still feel her fingers on my skin, calloused and rough, but soft and delicate all the same. I could see her staring at me, one cloudy gray eye that made her more mysterious than before and one blue eye that reminded me of gas fires and lightning.

I could feel the tears rolling down one side of her face when she kissed me, I could feel her heart pounding through her chest when we collided. I could remember the fabric of her shirt; the one she had picked to wear to dinner with her father.

Not one that she had chosen to fight and run away in.

I felt like I was trying to remember her. Like she was leaving forever. Like I would never see her again.

I couldn't speak.

I was stupid. I hadn't wanted to bring up her first quirk because I wasn't sure I hadn't just imagined it. I didn't want to lie to her and get her hopeful only to find that I had dreamt it all up in my head.

In my own selfish desires, I didn't want to feel her emotions boil and crack like rainfall and forest fire colliding when she realized it was simply a fantasy.

But when Kacchan had told me the truth in the hospital; that he knew and heard that she did in fact have a quirk, I had been too sleep-deprived and incompetent with waking her up to even try and understand what he had said.

She had been everything, and then she was nothing.

She was here, and then she was gone.

And there was nobody to blame but myself.

"Deku... where'd she go," it wasn't so much of a question, but rather a grunt as he dragged himself to his feet and to my side.

I tried to respond, but I only stared at the ground and shook my head, sputtering out random words and trying to string them together. Finally, "she's gone."

"Huh?"

"She's gone, Kacchan. She left."

He huffed, loudly and with evident exhaustion. "She didn't say anything."

I looked at him, my face burning in anger. "What did you want her to say? Goodbye? We lied to her. For years."

"Yeah?! Well maybe if you and her bastard of a fa-"

"Stop this right now! Both of you!" We looked up, finding All Might angrily marching towards us. "I'm sorry, but I've heard what you've said."

"All Might," Kacchan rasped.

"When'd you get here?" I asked.

"I didn't notice before. I should have."

"It's too late now," Bakugo's voice was soft, his body facing me as he turned over his shoulder and looked out into the trees to see if maybe she had stayed. Maybe she was watching. "Why did you pick Deku? It started when the sludge villain came, didn't it? So why him?!" His tone was weak, a sense of sadness I'd only ever heard when I walked past Asami's hospital room and happened to hear them speaking in hushed voices.