Final Act

May 2nd 1999

Hermione Pov

Harry and Ron haven't spoken to me since they found out it's been months. We're having our graduation today, one year after the battle so we can pay respects, according to Draco.

We wrapped up our duelling club yesterday, the students cried and Draco gloated for hours.

 Blaise is planning on proposing to Ginny after Draco and I give our speeches, so Draco and him planned that today we'll announce the truth about us as well. 

I'm so nervous.

I stare at myself in the mirror in my Gryffindor red graduation gown, then adjust my ring that's now on my finger. Draco says we'll be interviewed by the Daily Prophet so we've been prepping a big dramatic speech for the last month. This is just another chapter in the glamourous lives of the Golden Trio.

Draco comes into the room in his Slytherin green graduation gown. "You alright love?" he asks as he wraps his arms around me lovingly.

"Just a bit nervous," I sigh.

"Makes sense, we're about to go public," he says. "Normal couples come out when they're dating or as fiancés."

"Very reassuring," I drawl.

"We'll be alright love," he says tightening his hold on me. "Plus Blaise and She-Weasel's engagement should take the heat off of us."

"You conniving Slytherin."

"You know you love me," he chuckles grinning.

"Do I know that?" I ask. "Yes, yes I do."

"McGonagall is all caught up right?" Draco asks.

"Yep," I laugh. "I said we'd be making a spectacle of ourselves. She said and I quote "I didn't expect this to be a normal graduation anyway."

"Wise old witch," he chuckles.

We say our goodbyes to the Head dorms, I got a bit emotional causing Draco to laugh at me. Together we marched downstairs and joined up with Blaise, Ginny, Luna and Theo then head outside to courtyard.

As soon as Draco and I step out we are bombarded with a haze of camera flashes and questions.

"Miss Granger! How did you survive living with a former Deatheater?"

"Mr Malfoy! Is it true you never took your Headboy responsibilities seriously?"

"Is it true the two of you upstaged both Mr Potter and Mr Weasley by hosting your own duelling club to contend against the official Hogwarts that they hosted?"

"Mr Malfoy is it true you're gone against your views and accepted living with a muggleborn?"

I want to slap whoever asked that question.

"Do you consider yourself a blood traitor?"

I know I've asked this before, I say mentally to Draco. But can we make murder legal, just this once.

"I'm afraid ladies and gentlemen," Draco says. "That all questions must wait until later, both Miss Granger and I, have a graduation to get to." They make a path for us to walk through but continue to take as many pictures as possible as we stride down the imaginary red carpet. 

We arrive at the stand Hagrid built newly for this special early graduation and split up from Blaise, Theo, Luna and Ginny.

Together, Draco and I walk up the steps and join Harry, Ron and Neville all ready to give their own memorial speeches. One by one, they each did and we are all left in tears, grieving over our loved ones. One that hit particularly hard was how Harry looked at the cameras and began talking about Colin Creevey and how much he pestered Harry but never annoyed him.

Finally, McGonagall calls the Headstudents to the podium. We walk side by side and share the microphone, hiding our connected hands behind the podium.

Draco begins, "If I said I never expected to get the position of Headboy when I first arrived at Hogwarts I'd be lying. I'm a Slytherin with the brains of a Ravenclaw so what can I say?"

Both Ravenclaw house and Slytherin house cheer.

"It'd do you some good to be modest, Malfoy," I scold causing the crowd to let out a series of 'ooo's.

"If you'd let me finish," he says to me then turns back to the crowd. "But if you told my eleven-year-old self that I'd be standing here with a War heroine muggleborn witch who is also a know-it-all Gryffindor, I'd have sent you to a Mind healer."

The crowd laughs.

I take over, "If someone had told my twelve-year-old self that I was good enough to fight a war and win, then survive a year living with a pompous rich pureblood, I would have given you the longest lecture about how that would have never happened."

"Thanks..." Draco chuckles.

I smile slightly, "Now if you had told either of our eleven-year-old selves that the two of us would attend our final years at Hogwarts as husband and wife, well... I don't think anyone could have predicted that." I give the crowd a smirk then together we hold up our ringed hands and flash our diamond rings for everyone to see.

There's a series of gasps and cheers and a melody of camera clicks and flashes and we are once again bombarded with questions.

"Ah before you all get distracted with Draco and Hermione," Blaise says as he climbs onto the stage and pulls Ginny up. "I have another announcement to make."

The crowd watches in awe as the Italian wizard gets down on one knee and says "Ginevra Molly Weasley, when I told you back in January that I'd never met anyone like you I was telling the truth. But I did end up lying still because I said I'd propose to you soon. Four months isn't soon in my book  but I had to find the perfect ring for the perfect woman." He pulls out a ring box then opens it to revel a diamond encrusted with luminous rubies. "I had to get this made special for you to show there is no other woman for me. So will you Ginevra Molly Weasley, marry me?"

She smiles and says "It's about time!"