And So It Begins

Dad had an arm around me as he helped me up the stairs. I flinched when i felt the pain from my dislocated arm flash through me. Dad chuckled softly and pulled me up causing even more pain.

He laughed hard when I glared daggers at him. It's been a while since he beat me this badly and even after saying he'll go easy on me. I've been beaten worse though, in a tournament in China, from some prick with a axe to grind and no concern for the rules. It didn't matter in the end. I still won.

Dad left me leaning on the wall while he opened the door. I studied him silently,  noticing that despite his clear win he hadn't once on the drive home, sung his victory song. He seemed distracted, occupied with his thoughts. I smirked to myself, knowing this was a once in a lifetime chance I wasn't going to pass up

I punched with my working arm, taking advantage of the fact that I was injured and he wouldn't see it coming.
His fist slammed into my gut before I knew it. I slumped over black webs already clouding my vision.

"Yeah. Did you forget last summer? It didn't work then, did it." He said as he squatted next to me. My entire body quickly began to shut down as the pain travelled everywhere.
I shook my head, feeling too miserable to talk. He sighed before lifting me to stand.

"Let's get you cleaned up. Then off to bed." His voice seemed far away as I passed out in his arms.

When I came to, I was already cleaned bandaged and in bed. Dad was almost to the door when I spoke. "When are you leaving?" he turned back with a wistful smile.

"How did you know?

"When you didn't start singing, I suspected but when you knocked me out, that... That was a dead giveaway."

"I'm that obvious?"

"A little."

"I'll be gone by the time you wake up." He sighed before walking back to sit next to me. "I'm sorry I can't be here with you."

"It's okay. I'll be fine."

"I know you will. It's just..." He wanted to say something but shook his head. "Don't loose sight of what you're fighting for."

Dad got up again stretching his back slowly, popping bones back in place. "I would love to help but this is your fight and I know you can do it without my help. But if you do need it, you know where to find me."

"Sure, Dad."

"And be careful."

"Got it."

"And eat well"

"Sure Dad." I shook my head as we laughed at ourselves. I was really going to miss him. He must have read my mind because he leaned over to tussle my hair.

"I'll be back in about six months or so."

"Thanks Dad. For everything." I said as He walked to the door. He nodded and closed the door slowly behind him as I turned out the lights. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

.......................................................................

I blinked a few times trying to understand what just happened. I was now standing on the roof where Juleka and I had our anniversary date. Everything looked as it did that day. I scratched my head in thought.

"Hey y/n."

I turned around sharply to see Juleka sitting on the edge of the roof looking at me with a curious smile on her lips.

Juleka? I whispered confused as to what was was going on. Her smile broadened and her legs swung back and forth in a gleeful manner. She was clearly happy to see me. I studied her from head to toe doubting reality at this point. She looked like herself but something seemed off, like she was someone else. I couldn't put my finger on it.