Back To School

True to his word, Dad was gone by the time I woke up. He left a note saying he would call later. But I didn't think too much about it. It wasn't the first time and would not be the last. Besides, I thought as I looked down at my hands, I didn't want him knowing about my powers just yet.
I spent most of the morning trying to figure out my powers. Trying to hold a ball of energy whilst eating, shooting electricity through my fingers, powering electronics with only a finger.

By the time I left the house, I had discovered that:

1, I could handle current from other sources but my own meaning my electricity could hurt me but others couldn't

2, I couldn't control the electricity that wasn't my own only absorb it.

3, when I did, it replenished how much energy I had. But if I took in too much at once, I would overload and release most of the energy in a powerful explosion. Lucky for me I tested in the bathroom so it was fine, mostly fine. On fire and needing a patch up but fine.

And 4, minor control of magnetic fields. I tested with a knife and almost lost a toe so now as I walked to school I flipped and spun a pocket knife around with my powers, increasing the control I had. A sudden buzz broke my concentration and the knife shot straight into the side of a building, mere inches from a passerby.

He yelled in surprise and took off sprinting before I could apologize. I checked my phone to see a text from Adrian, one of my best buddies, checking to see if I was coming to school today.

I had been avoiding the school and also my friends for some reason. I don't know why but I just have. Instead spending most of my time at my internships or at the gym or at the office, distracting myself anyway I could. Yet, Adrian called me or texted me at least twice a day and sometimes, when I went to visit juleka, Rose would also be there. We would chat a while and then go our separate ways.

But apart from them I hadn't seen any other friends. I thought about it then replied. He immediately texted back.

"Cool. I'm glad to hear that. It'll be great to see you again, Y/n."

"Yeah. I'll see you at school."

"Okay, see you then."

I put my phone away then grabbed the knife that was still stuck in the wall. The rest of the journey was pretty uneventful till I got to the school. I stopped for a moment to watch the kids moving around.

Chloe Bourgeois and her lackey/best friend, Sabrina were walking up the stairs, ignoring Marinette dupén Cheng's grumblings and complaints while pick up her books and bags off the floor. It was obvious what had happened. I was about to help her when Alya, best friend of Marinette and also owner of the ladybug blog beat me to it.

Of to the side, local pathological liar and snake Lila Rossi was silently cheering enjoying Marinette's misfortune. Her hatred for Marinette was often hidden except for rare moments. I sighed and shook my head.

"Y/n. There you are."

I turned to see Adrian waving excitedly at me through the window of his car. I smiled and waved. 'Just smile and wave, boys just smile and wave' l whispered to myself laughing at my own joke.

Adrian got out and with his backpack onestrapped began heading my way. An arm suddenly draped over my shoulders and I instantly knew who it was. Nino, another good friend of mine.

"Dude, where have you been? We haven't seen you in like forever, yo." He said as he nudged me with his elbow.

"Yeahh. Sorry about that." I said as I rubbed the back of my head.

"No worries bro. I get it, just needed some time to process. It hit us just as hard. But she'll be fine, dude."

Adrian stopped next to us and we all fist bumped. He smiled again before he said "We're here for you. Juleka would wake up soon."