Chapter 61: There's More Than Meets The Jackass

61. There's More Than Meets The Jackass

I was uneasy the whole ride to the hospital. Josh and I didn't speak a word , but I could tell he was trying his best to get me there as fast as possible and in one piece. He pulled into the parking lot when we arrived and got out. When I did the same, he threw me my keys.

Catching them, I asked. "Um...how will you get back?"

"Texted my driver to meet me here right before we left your house," he replied. "Oh, and would you look at that, there he is pulling up right now."

"Oh," I said softly.

I guess in some narcissistic and annoying way he did actually care.

I heard the click of a camera nearby and sighed, a small smile gracing my lips. "Guess that's going to be a story now huh?"

"Nah, don't worry," he shrugged. "I'll be sure to go out tonight, get wasted, and kiss a few people. That should clear up the rumors."

I chuckled softly, still a bit weirded out that he was actually being a decent person.

"Well," he said, ending the awkward silence. "I hope whatever's waiting for you in there is good. I'll be on my way."

"Josh?" I stopped him.

He turned. "Yeah?"

"Thank you," I told him.

He smirked. "Well you know what they say, there's more than meets the jackass when it comes to people."

With a wink, he went off into the vehicle awaiting him. I, however, turned to face the building in front of me and sighed. I hadn't received a call or text containing any bad news, so I was hoping that Aaron would indeed be okay.

"Hi, I um...I'm looking for Aaron Smith," I said once I got to the reception area. "He was brought here not too long ago."

"Aaron Smith," the man mumbled as he scrolled through the tablet in his hands. "Let's see..."

"Morgan?"

I turned around when I heard my name and saw April walk in, a duffel bag in her hand.

"April," I uttered in relief as she gave me a hug. She looked fine, so that gave me hope that Aaron was okay too.

"It's okay Sam," she told the man. "She's with me."

He smiled at her. "Alright then April."

"Come on dear," she told me, leading me through the halls.

"I take it this is the hospital you work in?" I asked.

She nodded as she pushed the elevator button so that it would shut. "It is. I just went back home to pick up some things for Aaron. He'll be here for a couple of days."

"So he's okay then?" I asked, grabbing her arm on impulse.

April chuckled. "He will be, he's just battered and bruised. Had me worried sick for a moment though."

I sighed in relief and leaned against the elevator wall. "Oh thank God."

She laughed softly.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly. "I was just worried."

She shook her head and smiled at me. "Don't be sorry. I'm glad Aaron has someone who loves him as much as you do."

I smiled back, a wave of relief washing over me. The elevator finally opened when we got to our desired floor and we both stepped out to give way to those coming in.