Chapter 33: My Face Has A Mind Of Its Own

33. My Face Has A Mind Of Its Own

Monday.

It was Monday.

Monday meant that mom was coming back, most likely to put me over her shoulder and drag me back home amidst my kicking and screaming.

Before that though, I had to go see Dr. Marin. I wasn't complaining though, anything to keep me from facing Amber Hall.

"Good afternoon Morgan, how are you?" she beamed as I took a seat on the couch opposite her.

"I'm good," I simply replied, fiddling with my fingers in my laps.

"Morgan, I understand that you're not particularly excited about our meetings," she said, a smile still on her face. Why the fuck was she smiling all the time?

"Well..." I trailed off.

"But you're going to have to talk to me sometime."

I shrugged.

"Okay, um...why don't you tell me about your week? What happened since you left here last Monday?"

"A couple of things, but I'd much rather not talk about that," I answered.

She nodded. "Okay, then-"

"I had a panic attack," I interrupted.

She picked up her pen and clipboard. "Okay, it's good you told me that. Was that your first time experiencing something like that?"

"I did once...at a movie premiere I went to," I answered.

"What happened?" she asked me.

"I just remember seeing a lot of cameras...like at the grocery store..."

She nodded, writing something down. "Well it's normal to be a little anxious about things outside your comfort zone, but I'm going to need to know more so we can see what's really going on and maybe make a diagnosis."

I rose an eyebrow. "I don't need you to diagnose me, I just need to know how to not freak out every time someone waves a camera in my face. Isn't there some kind of coping mechanism for when people invade your fucking personal space?"

She purses her lips and took in a breath. Was I trying her patience? Could I try a therapist's patience? Isn't their job to sit and listen to people constantly bitch about their lives?

"Morgan, I'm going to help you as much as I can," she said. "But you need to meet me halfway. Now, why don't you start at the beginning, and tell me what all this is about?"

I sighed. This was going to be a long hour.

~~~

When I opened the door to the loft, I was met with a not so pleasant surprise.

Can't a girl catch a break?

MJ sat on the couch with mom, holding a mug.

My mother looked at me with an eyebrow raised, looking sharp as always. Her dark hair was pulled into a sleek ponytail which hung down her back and she was dressed in a black blazer over a white blouse with a matching pencil skirt and black heels.

"Hi mom," I said. "MJ..."

"You ran away?" my mom asked.

"Now Amberly, let her at least get changed," MJ said.

"I didn't run away," I stated.