Chapter V - Galahad's Story

Merlin was sitting against one of the apple trees and watching the misty lake. The sun was shining bright like the day he had come here with Arthur. Since then it has been like that every day. How different was this place from the dangers and mysteries of these waters. Merlin strained his eyes to see the shoreline across the lake. Even though the fog wasn't that thick he couldn't see it. Everything here was different and there were so many things he didn't understand.

"Something bothers you," a soft voice brought Merlin back to reality.

He looked up and saw Corelaine smiling slightly at him.

"Is it about Arthur?" she sat down next to him.

"Oh... no, that is not it. I know he is fine," he smiled and turned his eyes at the lake again. "I just... I imagined this place differently. I mean, being here and seeing what it's like. No one ever really knew how it looks."

"How could someone know about Avalon if he's never been there?"

Merlin frowned and glanced at her. "So, we are the first that managed to come here?"

"No, but no one ever returned to tell someone about it," Corelaine smiled and got herself to her feet. "But you certainly will," she looked at the lake as her smile faded.

Merlin rose up to face her. He sensed what she meant. "You don't have to worry. Avalon will still remain a secret, if that is what you wish for."

"It will be better for all of us. And I know you can keep a secret," she smiled at him and walked away towards the garden.

Merlin stood there for a beat, staring at the lake and then he headed to the tower to check up on Arthur. It was a week after they arrived at Avalon and with every coming morning Merlin hoped that his friend would finally wake up. Arthur's state, as fairies have been saying, was getting better. Merlin explained to himself the fact that Arthur was still asleep, is just the time his friend needed to take a break from all of these things that they've been through.

For the four first days Merlin hasn't been leaving Arthur's side, sitting on a chair next to his bed all day and night and barely taking any sleep. Corelaine had to bring him food because he refused to leave the room. Most of the time he's been like a ghost of himself. But he wasn't that easily convinced to get some time to take care of himself, until he passed out once, hitting his head hard on the floor. This made him realise that he won't be any help if he keeps going like that and eventually agreed to get some rest and give his friend time. But Galahad had to assure him that fairies are constantly watching over Arthur and when he'd wake up, Merlin would be the first person to know.

Merlin walked through the entrance door to the tower and followed along the corridor. As he reached the staircase leading to Arthur's room, he ran into someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said and looked up at the person he just hit.

"Walking with your head in the clouds, are we?" Galahad smirked.

"It seems so," Merlin chuckled.

"Someone wants to see you," said Galahad with a grin on his face.

Merlin gave him a puzzling look, but after a moment his eyes widened and he hurried up the stairs almost falling over. Galahad laughed as he saw the boy's rush.

"Take it easy, he won't get away!" he shouted, still laughing, but Merlin was already out of sight.

He ran through the corridor and at its end, swinging the door open, he burst into the room. Inside, he met fairy's and Arthur's confused glares. Merlin glanced from her to his friend. He watched her as she was fixing pillows for Arthur and when she finished, she left the chambers passing him quickly. Merlin gazed after her and then turned back his eyes to the king who was still staring at him, but now his look softened. Without a word, Merlin walked slowly over to Arthur, looked at him and after a beat embraced him into a hug. He closed his eyes in relief that with his friend everything is all right and that finally he can talk to him. Arthur seemed surprised a little, but returned Merlin's hug.