Chapter XVI - Small Actions Shape the Future

Merlin walked down the main alley through the city. It was semi-darkness, maybe just an hour before dawn, so he had to watch out for the guards wandering around the streets. Soon he passed the tavern The Rising Sun and after a few turns he found himself at the door of the house he knew very well, and which had been empty for a long time. Suddenly the warlock heard footsteps marching rhythmically. He snapped his head in the direction the sound was coming from and saw two guards walking a few yards from him towards the castle. He swiftly hid behind the wall and waited for them to go away, observing the surroundings at the same time. When it was clear he made a sign with his hand for Vortimer to walk with him. A hooded figure of the blonde man followed Merlin to the door and then the warlock's eyes flashed gold. They slipped inside, quietly closing the door behind them.

"Whose home is it?" Vortimer asked, looking around the room.

"It was Gwen's," Merlin replied.

"The queen?"

"Yhym, I hope you like it."

"It's perfect," said Vortimer. "Empty, but perfect."

The warlock chuckled. "I… er… I'll ask for a job for you if you intend to live here, of course."

"Great, if everything goes well, I would like to be a part of Camelot," he smiled.

Merlin sat at the table and glanced at Vortimer. "Are you really sure that you want to give up the life of a prince?"

"Yes. I'm tired of the life I've lived so far," said the blond and Merlin nodded.

"Right, so make yourself comfortable," the warlock smiled. "I'll be back later with some clothes for you because now I have to go and return to my duties."

"Don't let your king wait," Vortimer laughed as Merlin was leaving.

"I won't," he chuckled and left.

He made his way straight to the castle and then headed to the palace kitchens to get breakfast for Arthur. Everything had been prepared by the cooks beforehand, so all Merlin had to do was put the food on a silver plate. He chose what his friend liked best, that is cheese, ham and fresh bread, and when he was done he went to the king's chambers. As he walked along the corridors, fatigue took its toll, but he couldn't let himself fall asleep during work, and he knew that there's plenty to do. He winced at the thought of it and walked into Arthur's room opening the door by only looking at it. The warlock stood at the end of the king's bed setting down the plate on the bedroom trunk, and with a mere flip of his hand he pulled back the curtains. The sun flooded the chamber, waking Arthur up so that Merlin didn't even have to say anything.

"Merlin, you're back," said Arthur rubbing his eyes.

"Yep, and I got you breakfast," he replied.

"Thank you," the king took the plate and started eating while Merlin sat on the chair behind Arthur's desk. He tilted his head back, sighing tiredly. The king glanced at him with raised eyebrows. "Are you all right?"

"I've been gathering herbs for Gaius all night," the warlock said, not changing his position.

"I know, you should go home."

Merlin straightened up abruptly as if something had struck him. "Come again?"

"I'm giving you a day off."

"No way," he walked over to Arthur's bed. The king looked at him questioningly, stopping halfway through his eating. "Someone has to polish your armour."

Arthur swallowed quickly the food he had in his mouth and put aside a plate. "I'll fetch someone to do it for you, besides, I don't understand, Merlin, some time ago you asked for a day off and now you refuse."