Chapter XXI - Under Attack Part I

Merlin and Vortimer turned around at the sudden sound of opening the door. Arthur walked inside and stopped in mid-step as they stared at him in blank amazement. Both of them, for a few seconds, were out of words, and during that time the king managed to recognise Vortimer in disguise, which only confirmed his earlier fears. Arthur glanced from the warlock to the blonde man, but his look lingered on the latter as he couldn't stand the sight of his friend at that moment. His eyes welled up and he felt like pain gripped his heart. He held back tears and the expression on his face hardened.

"You," Arthur gasped. "I knew it was you," he drew the sword and aimed it towards Vortimer.

"Arthur," Merlin spoke calmly; "Let us explain. This is not what you think."

"And what is it exactly that I'm thinking?" he asked with his eyes still focused on Vortimer who was slowly backing away as Arthur was getting his blade closer to him. "Now, Merlin, you will wait for me in my chambers while I deal with him," he said, not looking at his friend.

"But, Arthur...," the warlock started and was about to stand between them.

"I said go," the king said sternly, cutting him off.

Before Merlin left the room, Arthur ordered him to call the guards. When they took Vortimer away the warlock headed to the palace straight to Gaius' chambers. He slammed the door behind him and slumped down grabbing his head.

"Merlin," Gaius said with concern; "what happened?"

The warlock looked up at him and sighed, stressed about the upcoming conversation with Arthur. He was certain that they lost him in the crowd, however, it was predictable that sooner or later the king would find out about Vortimer.

"Arthur knows," he replied quietly.

"Wha-, about Vortimer?" the physician sat down in the chair across from him. The warlock nodded.

"Arthur threw him into the dungeon. I dread to think what he's going to do to me. And don't tell me 'I told you so'."

"Oh, Merlin," Gaius sighed. "I won't. Now you've got a lesson."

"I will try to sort it out, but I've broken his trust for good. I popped in just to tell you this, you know," Merlin said with sadness. "I have to go," he got up and stood in the doorway.

"I wish I could help you."

"When I'm in the dungeon, maybe," the warlock smiled dryly. "But at the moment it is a matter between me and Arthur."

"Everything will be fine," said Gaius after a beat.

Merlin glanced at him before leaving and went to Arthur's room. He slipped inside but the king didn't return yet. As he walked towards the desk he looked around as if it were meant to be the last time he was seeing these chambers and even the very walls of this castle. There was a dead silence in the palace, only the shouts of the crowd gathered at the tournament could be heard from outside the window, and if Merlin hadn't misheard it, people chanted Gwaine's name. He took a seat and started fidgeting fingers. Nothing had been said yet, and he already felt like he was waiting to be beheaded. After a few moments the sound of footsteps carried up the corridor and when the door to the chamber opened Merlin sprang to his feet. Arthur closed the door and stood on the other side of the room in front of Merlin with folded arms.

"I considered you a friend," Arthur said softly, there was clearly pain in his voice.

"We are friends," guilt consumed Merlin from within as he looked at the king's face.

"Friends don't lie," he replied bitterly.

The warlock looked down but after a beat he regained confidence and met Arthur's gaze again.