Chapter VII - The Coming of the New Age

Guinevere was sitting at the table in her and Arthur's chambers. Since she was told that her husband had managed to reach Avalon safely, she felt a little bit calmer, but still, she was worried that something could go wrong. It's been a week, but for her it felt like forever. Gwen looked at the royal seal she was holding and started fidgeting with it. There was a murmur from behind the door of the chamber and after a while Leon burst in. The queen instinctively jumped up from the chair as he stopped in front of her panting.

"Leon," she said.

"My lady," he gasped; "I'm sorry to disturb you, but we've been informed by the guards about three horsemen approaching the main gate. It is believed that one of them is Arthur."

Guinevere's eyes widened and her heart started beating faster. She tossed a royal seal on the table and brushed past sir Leon to the door. Without a thought he rushed after her.

In the courtyard, on the staircase to the main entrance to the castle were gathered a couple of knights and some members of the royal family's service. Gwen pushed her way through the crowd with Leon following her and stood at the bottom of the stairs. From the distance they heard the clatter of horses' hooves and with every second as it was getting louder, the sound of it echoed across the main square. After a moment, from behind the wall, appeared to their eyes the king Arthur himself with Merlin by his side. They stopped the horses right in front of the crowded people. Arthur got off his horse and suddenly he was grasped into a hug by Guinevere.

"I can't believe it's really you," she whispered. Her eyes were closed and her head rested against his chest.

"It's all right," Arthur pulled her closer and kissed her head, smelling the delicate scent of her hair.

In the meantime Gaius pushed his way through the crowd saying short words to make people move. He stopped looking for a jet-black bunch of hair and when he finally found it, he crossed his eyes with Merlin's. The young man gave him a happy smile. He walked over to Gaius and hugged him.

"Glad you're finally home, Merlin," he said, pulling back. "I knew you could make it."

A smile didn't leave Merlin's face. He looked around and saw everyone's happy faces, cheerful knights and other people clapping as Arthur and Guinevere kissed. Merlin's eyes glistened and he turned back to Gaius.

"Gaius," he said with relief; "supper's ready?"

They both laughed at this and glanced towards Gwen when she spoke up.

"And who is this young man?" she asked, looking over her husband's shoulder.

Behind them stood Galahad, who was also influenced by the joyful mood of the others.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Arthur pulled back from Gwen's embrace, confused, and looked at Galahad. "This is Galahad, a man who…," he paused, glancing at him remembering what he promised to his mother. Galahad smiled slightly, lowering his stare; "who saved our lives from the bandits who attacked us near the Valley of the Fallen Kings," said Arthur.

"A hero," Gwen smiled at the man.

"He is," he agreed with her, smiling. "And the honourable one," he paused. Galahad exchanged glances with him and Gwen not knowing what to do.

"Oh, sorry again… and this is Guinevere, my wife."

"My lady," said Galahad, bowing and gently taking her hand. "My pleasure to meet you."

The queen bowed, too. "And I thank you for saving my husband's life and…," her gaze drifted towards the young warlock standing next to them; "Merlin's," she looked back at Galahad with a smile and then walked to Merlin hugging him.