Chapter XXIV - The Once and Future King

The next day, around noon, the rulers of the friendly kingdoms began to come to Camelot from the four corners of the world. Among them were queen Annis of Caerleon, king Lot of Essetir, king Rodor of Nemeth, king Godwyn of Gawant, king Bayard of Mercia and king Odin of Cornwall. Each was accompanied by several knights, and some took a member of their family with them.

By the time of their arrival, an Airgialla's messenger came to Camelot with a question note about the condition of Arthur's kingdom. The king took the letter seriously and was admiring king Torin's and his men's courage in helping them and taking up the fight against Saxons. Sir Leon though couldn't help but laugh as the note mentioned princess Ragnell's expression of concern about Gwaine. Then the knight explained that they couldn't be more open about it. Arthur sent back a note with thanks and wrote that the kingdom survived and Gwaine is very much alive.

King Arthur and queen Guinevere welcomed their guests. The servants were entrusted with the task of leading the rulers and their companions to specially prepared chambers. Everyone would later meet during the supper, and the next day Arthur planned a round table meeting. This time, however, not with his knights, but with his allies.

At the round table, Arthur was of course accompanied by Merlin, Guinevere and two knights, Leon and Galahad. All of them took their places, the queen sat on the king's left side and the warlock on his right. Merlin looked around at everyone's faces and he could tell that some of them weren't delighted that the servant was sitting with them as equals at the round table. They also knew very well Merlin had magic and that didn't make it any less better. Though they had dealt with sorcerers before, they might still have bad associations with them.

"King Arthur," Lot began. "Isn't it inappropriate that your servant is sitting with us?" his piercing gaze wandered to Merlin.

"Merlin is not my servant anymore," Arthur answered. "He is my advisor and has every right to be here and sit with us."

"Of course his ability to juggle was just a magic trick, wasn't it?" queen Annis chuckled softly.

"Yes," Arthur smiled. "I am sure he would love to please you with another story next time."

"And there are plenty of them," Merlin laughed.

"Indeed, but now is the time for politics," the king stated. "I have heard and, of course from your letter, I know that Vortigern has been raiding villages within the borders of your kingdoms."

"They were practically razed to the ground. Saxons burned crops," Rodor spoke up. "People started coming for help, but we could not give it to everyone. And it is not only in Nemeth," he glanced at them all.

"Their invasions have intensified even in Cornwall to such an extent that we are slowly unable to cope with them, despite the fact that the borders are constantly patrolled," said Odin.

"If we do not put an end to this, the collapse of our states will be quite certain," Bayard said. "Mercia was also the target of their attacks."

Arthur was listening to them carefully and from time to time nodding. He knew that they had to do something about it.

"It was not even half of what happened to your kingdom, Arthur. And we are all devastated by the loss to the people of Camelot," said queen Annis.

"It was one of the worst battles we have had to fight so far," Arthur agreed. "But we would not be victorious if it was not to Merlin's magic and the king of Airgialla, who fought the Saxons from the west with his army."

"We cannot let it pass," Odin spoke up. "I won't let them ruin my kingdom. We have to lead an army against Vortigern. But I cannot do this alone, the Saxons have a huge advantage," he looked at Arthur.