Chapter VI - The Purest and Most Perfect of All Knights

First rays of the rising sun fell into the room, enlightening its interior with a warm yellow-orange colour. Some of them reflected off the shining armour that was put on the chest next to bed, making the glow of light dance on the wall. The other crawled slowly on the king's face. In half-sleep he turned his head towards the window and when light reached the line of his eyes, he started to wake up. Arthur rubbed his eyes and slowly opened them. He looked around the chambers. The door was closed and only what he could hear was chirping birds outside the window. It was unlikely to have open curtains in the room and no one here bustling around to wake him. He got up from bed and walked to the window. He narrowed his eyes as the sunlight blinded him. Seeing horses on the grounds, he reminded himself that today they will be heading Camelot. Arthur's lips twitched into a slight smile at the thought of it. He hoped that finally after all what's happened the whole kingdom will live in peace. He faced the room and his eyes fell on his sword and armour. Something was missing.

***

Arthur was going down the stairs with no idea where he was heading, when he spotted one of the fairies on the half-floor who was about to enter the room.

"Excuse me," he walked to her quickly; "which way to the great hall?"

The fairy looked at him and smiled slightly. "You're almost there, when you are at the ground floor, turn into the left corridor and then right."

"Thank you," Arthur bowed his head and following her instructions he reached the great hall.

Inside he met Corelaine talking enthusiastically with the fairies. Women were so preoccupied with themselves that they didn't notice that someone had entered the room. Arthur walked quietly and sat at the end of the long table trying not to interrupt them. He helped himself with breakfast and as he was pouring water into a mug, he knocked down by accident the candlestick with a jug. Corelaine looked out of the corner of her eye at the place where the noise came from.

"Ah, King Arthur, good morning," she said.

"Sorry, I didn't want to disturb you," he glanced at her. "I'll just fix it up."

"That's fine. How was your night?"

"Good, thank you," Arthur smiled kindly, putting a candle in its place.

"Galahad is making ready in his chambers. He's very excited that he will be riding with you, sire. It'll be his first such a long journey since his expedition in search of the Grail."

"He never left Avalon since then?" Arthur took a sip of his water.

"No, only trips around the isle. It's not much, but he could still improve his equestrian and fighting abilities."

"Wish I could see him in action. Maybe he could make a great knight."

"As far as I remember that was always his dream. To serve a good and great cause," she paused for a moment. "He's a warrior, but he never killed a man."

Arthur looked at her impressed that such a great warrior, as they say, never killed a man even in a duel or in self-defence.

"He has always been against bloodshed," Corelaine continued. "All the wars and battles are pointless. He believes that people are naturally good and everything can be solved without a sword."

"Your son is a good man and I also want nothing more than to make Camelot a peaceful place where everyone could live without fear of being attacked."

Corelaine smiled. "You are destined to make not only Camelot a peaceful place, Arthur. You are the king who unites kingdoms and its people. Each and every one of us believe in you."