Chapter XXII - Under Attack Part II

Angus rushed on horseback as fast as his palfrey could. He was considered a good messenger in his kingdom. He knew the surrounding areas well, so he hoped he could reach Camelot and deliver a message to king Arthur before Vortigern's men got there. The army moved forward at a steady pace, taking its time. At the head was king of Kent, but not as confident as he always used to be. Most of his army was made up of Horsa's men, who proudly led his horse alongside Vortigern. Horsa, a large man with a beard, looked more like a leader than Vortigern who was much shorter than him, and who had long since lost position in his kingdom despite still being king.

Thanks to good sense of direction and a fast mare, Angus reached Camelot in time so that king Arthur had enough time to prepare for a possible attack. He passed the guards on the drawbridge, and despite their shouts to stop, he rode into the courtyard, nearly running his horse over Vortimer and Merlin, who were heading for the city.

"Oi! Watch out where you're going!" Vortimer exclaimed, turning around.

Two guards ran past them towards Angus who swiftly jumped off his horse and rushed to the palace through the main staircase. Before the boy disappeared within the walls, Merlin got a glimpse of him and realised who he was.

"It's a messenger from Airgialla," he said looking at Vortimer.

"Why he's here?"

"I've no idea, but I fear that something's wrong," the warlock replied and walked quickly back to the castle.

Vortimer followed him as he also felt the need to help no matter what. On their way to the council chamber, because that's the place where the messenger would go in search of the king, they ran into Percival who headed the opposite direction.

"Percival, have you seen the boy bearing Airgialla's crest on his tunic?" Merlin asked.

"Yeah, he says that he has a message from king Torin," he replied. "Do you know where Arthur is? I have to fetch him."

"He was saying something about Leon, I think he's with him."

Percival nodded and looked at Vortimer. His eyes widened immediately. "What is he doing here?"

"Oh!" the warlock glanced at the blonde man and then again at the knight. "It's a long story," he said and pulled Vortimer with him who only managed to smile shyly and motion to Percival. "Find Arthur!" Merlin exclaimed, continuing with Vortimer down the corridor.

At the door to the council chamber the messenger was waiting in the company of guards for the king. Merlin and Vortimer stood a little further and soon Arthur and Guinevere appeared with Leon, Percival and Gaius. The guards opened the door for them and before entering the king turned to the blonde man.

"You stay here," Arthur said. "Merlin," he nodded and walked into the chamber.

The warlock leaned towards Vortimer. "I'll tell you later what's going on," he whispered, and was the last to enter the room. Vortimer looked after him before the guards closed the door.

In the council chamber, Arthur and Guinevere sat down while everyone's eyes turned to the messenger, waiting for what he had to tell them. The king motioned at him.

"Your Majesty," he started. "King Torin would like to warn you. On our way back home we encountered Vortigern's army heading towards Camelot."

Arthur rose from his seat clearly concerned. What Vortimer had told him a few hours earlier was happening now.

"Where and when?" the king asked.

"Near the White Mountains, about an hour and a half ago," he replied.