21 - Aella

My head was spinning. Everything was going too fast. I was going to switch lives in less than 12 hours.

It was three in the morning. The hotel was as silent as night. Not a single soul could be heard. I threw off my blankets. They smelled like mothballs anyway and the room felt oppressively hot with blankets on.

A single window in the room faced the back of an alley. Piles of garbage bags lined the corners, overflowing, upturned dustbins with half opened lids lined the spaces left over by the garbage bags in the alley.

I scrunched my nose and closed the window. I stepped into the bathroom and inspected my torn dress. My eyes fell on Marcus's jacket lying on the marble counter in the bathroom. I picked it up, my fingers fluttering over the frayed edges.

I looked in the mirror. Bags and dark circles lined the bottom of my eyes. I needed new clothes. I couldn't wear this torn garbage everywhere.

I tied my hair back with a stray hair tie I had on my wrist.

I stepped out of the room and locked it behind me, holding on to the keys tightly as I made my way down the silent corridor. I wrapped Marcus' jacket around me more tightly because that was the only thing keeping the cold out.

I spotted a flight of stairs and took it. I quickly climbed three floors and reached the entrance to the terrace. Surprisingly, it was ajar. I opened it fully and stepped onto the terrace.

It was dark but the lights from the town made everything visible. I stopped in my tracks when I saw a figure standing near the edge of the terrace, leaning on the banister.

I squinted to see who it was.

Marcus turned around and was just surprised as I was.
"What the-"

I sighed in relief.
"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing. It's three in the morning.", he said, raising an eyebrow.

"I couldn't sleep.",I said and went towards him. I stood beside him.
The view was much better than that offered by the window in my room. I slightly leaned over the banister and saw the lights from the town glow. There weren't many people on the street. No one really came to this part of town. I was careful to keep my eyes open for any familiar figures or shadows.

"Do you really want this Aella?",Marcus asked quietly.

"Want what?",I asked, turning to look at him.

"Do you really want to come with us? I'd be the happiest if you do but are you ready to leave your family behind?"

I smiled for a second.
"My family was gone after Mom and my brother died."

Marcus pursed his lips as he listened to me.

"My dad... he's a good guy and Ace, my other brother, I love him. I love them both. I'll definitely miss them. But I've made up my mind. I don't have any choice in any matter when it comes to my life when I'm in that house. All seventeen years of my life I've been controlled like a puppet. But here.. I feel comfortable in my skin. I feel...free."

Marcus looked at me for a moment then smiled crookedly, the city lights flashing across his face, lighting up small scars and his dark eyes.
"I'm glad you're coming with us.",he said.

"Me too."

We started at the lights in silence for a while. The buzzing of vehicles was absent. The moon glowed brighter than ever. The stars shimmered in the sky. It was almost as if I could hear them twinkle.

"You know, dollface, I honestly didn't think we'd get along.",Marcus said.

"Why? Because you were initially hired to kidnap me? Gee I don't know how that didn't work out.",I said.