20 - Marcus

"I'm coming.",I heard a voice from the counter. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I looked up.

Aella stood there in a white dress. I was even more confused.

For a second, the crazy thought of her joining my gang revolved around my head before I pushed it away in order to keep myself away from building hopes only to have them shattered.

"What?",I asked, keeping my voice as normal as I could even though a tiny part of me hoped she would actually come with me.

"I'm coming with you. With your gang.",she said.

For a moment, I was dumbstruck. It was just today afternoon that she had told me off and it looked like she would never talk to me again.

She still looked mad at me but she also looked determined to stick what she had said.

"When are we leaving?",she said.

"Um..next week.",I said, placing the dish cloth on the counter. Her eyes looked wild.

"Aella, are you sure about this?",I asked, leaning on the counter.

"Yes.",she said hurriedly.
"Now I have to get out of here before they find me.",she said quickly.

She was probably referring to her dad and his gang. It looked like she had run away. I heard shouts coming from outside. Aella looked at me with wide eyes.

The customers in the shop peered outside, trying to find the source of all the noise.

I nodded and grabbed my motorcycle keys.

"There is one thing you have to promise you'll do before we leave.",she said quickly.

"What is it?",I asked, quickly taking off the apron and throwing it on the counter.

"I'll tell you on the way.",she said.

"Hey! Where are you going?! Your shift isn't done yet!",Doug screamed from inside.

"Sorry bud gotta go!",I said as I quickly made my way out of the cafeteria, Aella following shortly behind.

I turned on my motorbike and Aella sat behind me, her arm firmly gripping my shoulder. I revved the engine and drove off in the direction opposite to that of where the sounds were coming from.

I could feel Aella turning her head back every now and then making sure we weren't being followed.

"Do I get an explanation as to why you suddenly changed your mind or...?", I asked over the wind beating down my voice.

Aella was quiet for a while.

"Do you remember when I told you my dad was gonna send me off with the Southside?", she asked.

"Yes.", I replied and waited for her to continue. I took a turn and drove on the highway.

"They came today. The leader's son, Vito, tried to...",she trailed off.

Anger stirred in my veins. I felt my grip tightening on the steering. However, concern took precedence over anger.
"Are you okay?",I asked.

"I'm fine. I broke a flower vase over his head.",she said. I could hear a  faint smile in her voice.

I grinned as I narrowly missed skidding over a rock. Aella's hand momentarily squeezed my shoulder but then I regained balance and we drove on.

"Bastard deserved it. I'm proud of you.",I said.

She didn't say anything. Her hand stayed gripping my shoulders.

"Are you sure your dad doesn't have a problem with me joining you guys?",she asked after a while.