8 - Marcus

"If you can't do it, tell me. I'll do it myself.",Boss said. His voice was like ice. It was calm but at the same time, I could feel those invisible daggers jarring my spine.

I clenched my teeth.
"It's not my problem she doesn't let anybody in.",I said coldly, clamping my hands behind my back.

I felt one of the bodyguards beside me push my shoulder roughly. I glared at him and regained my position. I stared at Boss coldly. He was sitting in his favourite chair as usual, shadows lingering over his face. It was already night and the strips of moonlight entering the warehouse weren't proper illumination.

He stood up slowly, his height looming over the shadows, making his face appear darker. He stood straight and we were eye to eye in the distance.

"Black, I give you three days. Take this as a challenge. I dare you to ask her out. Ask her out and bring her here. We will take care of the rest. Can you do at least that?",he asked, locking his hands behind him.

I pursed my lips. I needed the money. I nodded.

"Good. Very good. Now go. Go to their mansion. I heard The Southside was there. Go and try to find out why.",he said.

I froze.
"You're asking me to go to the mansion? What even makes you think she's gonna let me into her room even if I sneak in? That girl hates my guts with every bone in her body."

"Exactly. Make her not hate you. If you want the money, do it."

I sighed. I wasn't going to her house and getting kicked out. I had at least that much self respect.

"No.",I said.

The bodyguard pushed my shoulder roughly. I ignored the sharp pain that made its way from my shoulder all the way to my fingertips.

"How old did you say your sisters were, again?",Boss asked in that calm voice of his.

The blood boiled and froze in my veins at the same time. Nobody touched my sisters.
"You will not go anywhere near them and neither will any of your minions.",I spat.

"Great. Get to work then."
Boss turned around and sat down on his chair again.

I gritted my jaw to the point where I could hear my teeth grind against each other. I mentally cursed him one last time before heading out of the warehouse.

---

Bad idea. Stupid stupid idea.

I repeated the same words in my head as I made my way across the final street. I could see the mansion sprawled out in front of me in all its glory.

I stopped abruptly when I saw the guards in front of the mansion. I went behind a wall and hid in the shadows so that they couldn't see me.

They didn't seem to budge. They stood in the same spot like rocks. I even wondered if they were wax statues before one of them coughed.

I took a step back and pressed up my back against the wall for a minute until everything was clear. When they turned the other way, I made a run for the corner. I turned around the corner and faced the tall wall, hoping nobody would come that way.

I looked around for means to climb it. My hand reached the top but I wasn't sure if I could pull my entire body up. I spotted a slight protrusion on the wall and put my leg on it. I threw my hand across the wall but hissed when something sharp cut my palm.