19 - Aella

I stepped into my room and dropped on the bed, exhausted. I threw my bag onto a chair and lay on my back, staring at the ceiling. My head was spinning.

The entire house, however seemed to bustling with movement. Somebody peeked at my door and I raised my head.

It was one of our helpers, Annie.

"Can I come in?",she asked and smiled politely.

"Yeah.",I said, leaning on my elbows. Annie was a nice person but sometimes she got annoying. She was too cheerful for me.

"Your father has invited a few guests over. He sent me to make sure you're all dressed up and ready.",she said but I could sense nervousness in her voice.

I immediately understood who was going to come.
"The Southside's coming?",I asked.

Annie bit her lip nervously and nodded. She couldn't be more than a few years older than me.

I rolled my eyes and got up.
"Dad wants me to dress up? What is this? 1950?"

"Don't kill the messenger.",Annie squeaked.

She was getting kind of annoying and normally, I am a nice person. I am never rude to staff but she was getting on my nerves. I wasn't even mad at her, I was mad at Dad but I had to direct my anger somewhere.

"Whatever, Annie. Get out I can do it myself.",I said rudely and slammed the door on her face when she walked out.

I clutched my head and pulled at the roots of my hair frustratedly. Why was the Southside here? I mean, maybe I knew why but so early? Just the thought of it made me want to punch myself and everyone in this house.

Maybe Marcus was right. I was just standing by and letting somebody else control my life.

But now I quite literally couldn't do anything. I punched the wall frustratedly. My knuckles burned and I felt blood but I couldn't care less. It felt good. The plaster on the wall was a bit cracked.

I heard faint knocking on the door. I opened it with a grunt and saw Annie again. She looked scared. I let out a sigh.
"What is it?",I asked.

She was holding a huge cover.
"Y-Your father asked me to give this to you for you to wear at tonight's dinner.",she said. She quickly handed it to me and walked away.

I rolled my eyes and stepped back into my room before shutting the door. I could feel frustration seep through my veins again.

These past few days, I kept myself going by thinking this deal of dad's was in an unspecified future; that I could go about with my normal life at least until this school year ended.

But now that they were actually coming; there were real people involved, my imaginary bubble was burst.

I opened the cover to reveal a white dress. I caught the hanger and pulled it out of the cover. It smelled like lavender. It was full sleeved but I was sure it would show a fair amount of cleavage. I cringed at the thought. My eyes ran to the bottom. The dress ended right below the knee.

I hated these kind of dresses. They were always too body hugging for my liking.

But I knew dad would be mad if I showed up in sweatpants. I quickly laid it out on my bed before any of the blood from my hand could ruin the dress.

I took a nice, hot bath, taking my time. I didn't care if I was late. I stepped out of the shower and combed my wet hair, letting it falling on my back. I quickly cleaned up my knuckles and wrapped a bandage around them.