16 - Marcus

I mean, the entire cafeteria had heard her talking about my abs, right? It wasn't just my imagination, right?

Some guys wolf whistled when I walked past them and I grinned.

"Go boy!",one of them screamed.

I laughed and sat down at the table. Sure, I had made a pact that I wouldn't talk to Aella, for her own safety, but that didn't mean I couldn't have front row tickets to all the shit that was going down.

I forked through my dry food and got up to leave as quickly as I could because the feeling of eyes boring into my head quickly became uncomfortable.

Biology.

I quickly walked into class and saw Aella sitting with her head in her hands.

I was about to say something but I remembered what we had talked about. A grim shadow took over me as all my thoughts went back to yesterday night. Boss, the warehouse, dad.

I sat down next to Aella but I didn't say a word. She briefly looked up at me, her face flushing with embarrassment. I smiled crookedly. Quite frankly, I'd enjoyed the show.

I didn't say anything to her but I reassuringly stretched out my hand and placed it over hers.

She looked at me for a second with a thankful smile and turned away. The bell rang and a wave of students washed into the class. I slowly pulled my arm back and stretched in my seat.

Our teacher entered the class and placed his books down with a thud.
"Good afternoon, class."

All the students mumbled boredly, already looking at the clock.

He rolled his eyes.
"Yes, I know I'm very boring but I have interesting news today."

Some people raised their heads to look at him.

He cleared his throat. From the corner of my eye, I could see Aella raising her head the tiniest bit.

"A new student will be joining us tomorrow. He's actually one of our own. He used to study here in primary and middle school. He briefly had to move to Australia but now, he's back and ready to go at it again in our school!",he announced.

Excited murmurs ran through the class. Who was it? If he was here in primary school I probably knew him.

"Tomorrow, please be ready to welcome our very own, Noah Skywalker.",the teacher said.

I froze.

Out of all the damn people in the world, it had to be goddamn Noah Skywalker.

I felt Aella stiffen beside me. Some kids in the class even turned to look at Aella.

Noah Skywalker was a nemesis to me since third grade. Why? Because he had a crush on Aella too at the time.

Noah was more upfront about his feelings. He'd told Aella straight to her face. She didn't respond but I could see a small smile on her face. They didn't talk after that but I hated Noah's guts. I hated the fact that she had smiled at him but couldn't even part me a fleeting glance.

And now, he was gonna be back.

It was third grade and it would be silly if I still held a grudge because of a stupid third grade thing but whenever I looked at Aella, I thought differently.

I looked at Aella but her face was stoic. Even if she felt anything, she was doing a wonderful job of hiding it.

"Now, now. Back to biology. Biomolecules...",the teacher started.

I leaned back in my seat. My mind kept drifting off. Yesterday's shadows still lurked in my memory.

"I came back for the four of you, Marcus.",he said gently.

Hannah, Leah and Mia were in shock. They had no idea their dad was still alive. They were so young when he left so I just told them he had died. He did die that day to me.

"You shouldn't have left in the first place, don't you think?",I said harshly, stepping forward until I was face to face with him.

We were the exact same height. I noticed we had several similar features. It was as if I was looking at an older version of myself.

"Listen to me Marcus.",he said, placing his arms on my shoulders.

"Don't touch me.",I spat and pushed off his hands.

"I had to leave. Your mother left me no choice.",he said.

"Bullshit. You could have stayed back and sorted things with her.",I said.

"Our marriage was not the problem! She- She had started taking drugs. She was unstable. My life would have been in danger if I was around her. And I was already in the gang when I met your mother. The boys had my back."

I stood still for a while. I didn't know my mother was an addict. I didn't remember much but I did remember days when she used to scream and tell at me for no reason.

"Wow, you're a selfish bastard aren't you? You were scared you would get hurt so you hauled ass out of there, huh? Did you ever think what would happen to your kids?",I asked, anger slowly curled up inside me, making me seethe with rage.

"I know. That was really messed up on my part. But I didn't know any better. I should've made arrangements for you and your sisters.",he turned to look at my sisters with a sort of affection.

They were intimidated, definitely, but I could see their eyes shine with a sort of daughterly affection.

"Too late for that. Don't come near me or my sisters ever again. You are dead to us.",I said and turned around.
"Let's go."

"But Dad...",Hannah pointed.

"No dad here.",I snapped and gently grabbed their wrists as I pulled them out of the warehouse.

"I can get you out of that gang and protect you and your sisters.",he said.

I faltered slightly in my steps and kept walking. Nothing I couldn't do myself.

"A better place for the four of you to live, a college seat for you and a good school for your sisters.",he said.

I stopped. I turned around slowly. It did sound tempting. A good school for my sisters? A college seat for me? It sounded like a dream.

I'd always imagined dropping out after school because I obviously couldn't afford college and then somehow work my ass off in The Vice Kings and hope to jot money for my sisters' education.

"How do I know you're not lying?", I said and crossed my arms.

"Trust me, son.",he said.

I snorted.
"Sure. It's not like you abandoned us for eight years."

He didn't say anything. He simply pursed his lips.
"It's upto you. If you want a better life for you and your sisters. There is one condition though."

"What is it?",I asked.

"You'll have to join my gang.",he said.
His bodyguards stood rigid behind him.

My eyes steeled and I fixed him with a cold glare.
"I'll think about it."

The ringing of the bell jolted me from my day dreaming. I noticed that half the class was empty now. Even Aella had disappeared from beside me.

I quickly ran my hand through my hair and picked up my books.

Dark clouds of thought kept floating around my head as I headed towards the next class.