22 - Marcus

The sun beat down on our backs and faces and the wind threaded through our hair and made our clothes stick to our bodies as we sped on the clean roads.

The sky was as blue and clear as the ocean, free of clouds. Fields of sunflower stretched as far as the eye could see.

I looked to my left and saw Aella on a motorbike of her own, lended by dad of course. Wind made her hair fly behind her shoulders. She was wearing a motorcycle helmet. Her combat boots pressed down at the sides, her arms firmly gripping the handlebars and the sun shining on her chin, lips and nose made it all look unreal.

Dad had chosen to travel in a car, driver driving. Leah, Hannah and Mia were with dad in the car. Our men were on bikes, riding alongside me and Aella.

I tore my eyes off Aella and looked straight. The roads were empty.

Aella and I had fallen asleep on the terrace last night. We had woken up to one of Dad's men awkwardly trying to wake us up.

Aella turned red a few seconds after she woke up and fixed her dress before rushing off to get dressed.

I smirked slightly as I remembered the way the blush crept up her neck, turning her ears and cheeks pink.

I turned to steal another glance at her. She looked regal on the motorbike. She caught my eye and gave me a crooked smile before facing the road again.

She looked free.

I smiled to myself as I turned around to face the road again.

                                  ---

We stopped at a petrol pump to get a refill. It was fairly deserted and there were only two or three other people apart from us.

After I was finished with my motorbike, Aella came up behind me with hers. Her helmet was tucked under her elbow. The rhinestones on her jacket gleamed in the sunlight. Her windswept get now framed her face and her usually dark blue eyes looked almost black.
She grinned at me.
"Was this the best trip ever or what?"

I smiled at her enthusiasm.

Hannah and Leah got down from Dad's car and ran towards me.
"Markie!"

"Hey girls!",I turned towards them and grinned. They ran into my arms and I lifted them, one in each arm.
"Where's Mia?",I asked.

"Oh she's talking to Dad about skittles. She's telling him how they're bad for your teeth.",Hannah snickers.

As much as I didn't like the idea of Dad near the girls or me, the idea of Dad and Mia talking and bonding made me feel good. We seemed like a normal family for once.

I turned towards Aella.
"Girls, this is Elle.",I said, careful not to say her real name.

She smiled at them and they smiled back. Hannah reached out and stroked her long, black hair.
"Wow you're so pretty."
Leah nodded in agreement.

Aella blushed and smiled.
"No you're so pretty.",she said, pinching Hannah's cheeks, then Leah's.

The car's door opened and Dad stepped out. Mia was holding his hand and rambling about skittles. I could hear it. She spotted me and immediately let go of Dad's hand and ran towards me.
"Markie!"
Then she frowned when she noticed there wasn't any more room in my arms.