7 - Aella

It was a cold evening. It was a week before Halloween and I felt that dull pain return to my chest.

It would be two years since Mom and Archer died. I absent mindedly played with the moon necklace hanging loosely around my neck. Mom's necklace. My hands ran over the gentle silver.

"Mom! No!"

She reached over, nonetheless.

"Archer, wake up! Get up! We need to go! Wake up, sweetheart!", Mom said. Her face was pale and she was trying her best not to cry.

"Mom we need to go.",I said, tears filling my eyes. I couldn't bear looking at Archer like that. He was my brother, my favourite brother.

He lay there motionless, blood pooling around his back, the spot where he was relentlessly shot thrice. His hair had mud and blood on it and clung to his face. His eyes were closed. His chest was still.

I could hear echoes in the empty garage.

I knew they were coming. I knew they would be here soon.

I bent down, grabbing Archer's arm. My brother's hand was cold and limp.
"Wake up, Archer."
My vision blurred.

Suddenly I froze when I heard gunshots. Right from behind me.

That was it. That should've been the end but instead of feeling the cold, hard bullets rip through me, I felt nothing but I heard something beside me.

I heard a muffled groan and a thud. I immediately looked beside me and saw Mom sprawled out on the floor, blood rapidly gushing out of her body. I stared at her, horrified as I let go of Archer's hand. 

"No!",I screamed. That should have been me.

"Mom! Mom!",I shook her. She was slowly closing her eyes. Her breath was laboured. She lay there like a wounded animal while I heard the footsteps of the hunter behind me.

"Dammit!", he said.

I turned around as I looked at him with hatred filled in my eyes. I had tears in my eyes but I already knew who it was even if I couldn't see him clearly.

He clicked his tongue in annoyance as if he'd had a major inconvenience. I tried to put pressure on Mom's wounds. I couldn't stop the blood from flowing out.
"Mom. No. Please.",more tears slipped out of my eyes.

"Ugh. Missed my shot.",he said. Even I knew he was aiming for me.

"What the hell is your problem? How can you hate us so much? What have we even done to you?",I asked, my breath staggering.

He bent down and placed one hand on his knee. His dark eyes gleamed in the lights and his graying hair seemed completely white for a minute.

I remembered the sweet, caring guy he used to be before he turned into this... this monster.

He grabbed my hair and pulled me up, ripping my hand away from Mom's gaping wounds.
"Now go tell your father if he doesn't do exactly what I say, you're going to be next.",he said and pointed his chin towards Mom and Archer.

I cried out in pain as I felt the roots of my hair burning against my scalp. Mom lay on the ground, shuddering as the tiny pool of life in her slowly evaporated. I wanted to help her, pick her up, even trade my life for her if it meant it would save her but his vice-like grip held me in place. I couldn't move as his eyes bore holes through mine and a wicked smile was splayed across his face.