yeosang || skater boy

I always passed by the same park every day, before and after school. Sometimes even in the late evenings when the sun painted the sky pink and the first stars were saying hello. Then I would sit down in a quiet corner, all by myself.

It was my personal hideout, my corner of comfort.

The park was often deserted when the sun started to set in the early evening. Having it all to myself was like a dream.

If there were a lot of other people, I'd probably just try to act natural, though my social anxiety would eventually take over.

But when I had it to myself, I could climb on the jungle gym to watch the sunset, swing like a little six year old kid again, and let my creativity take over whenever I wrote or drew in my notebook. Without the worry of being judged.

"I'm going out, mom!" I yell to my mother who was busy peeling vegetables in the kitchen.
"Okay, Honey. Stay safe," she smiled.

I snatched an apple on my way out. When I first started going out to the park near sunset, Mom wasn't very keen on the idea. I guess now that it happens all the time, she got used to it. Or maybe she just trusts me more.

Or maybe she knows why I am so eager to go these days...

I walked over to my usual spot underneath a golden oak tree with my notebook tucked underneath my right arm.

To my relief there was no one in the park yet.

As I sat down, a specific honey-brown leaf on the ground caught my attention. I picked it up and admired it in the afternoon sunlight. Gently placing the leaf down next to me, I took out a grey pencil and started to sketch the outline of the leaf.

It was still a little while until the sunset would colour the sky.

As I was about to fill in the little veins of the leaf on my sketch, I heard a pair of footsteps. Glancing up I caught sight of a brown haired boy with a skateboard underneath his arm, walking towards the skateboard rink a few metres away.

The golden hour was nearing, and the way he glided across the rink on his skateboard left me in awe every time. It looked so magical when the golden rays illuminated him.

I forced my gaze away from him and back to my sketch. I used to come here only because of the sunsets and the solitude, but that was before Yeosang happened.

•••

"Y/n! Earth to y/n!" my friend Hongjoong said as he waved a hand in front of my face.
"Oh, uh sorry," I covered my face with my hands to avoid anyone in the cafeteria seeing my blush of embarrassment.
"Are you thinking about him again?"
I looked up, frowning. "Who are you talking about?"
"Oh come on, y/n. Don't play dumb. He sometimes glances at you too when you are not looking," Hongjoong winked.
"What? No! I'm not good enough for Yeosang."

I peeked over my shoulder to see Yeosang sitting by himself a few tables away, preoccupied with his phone and a few chicken nuggets on a plate.

"You are so bad at hiding your secrets, y/n," Hongjoong said, shaking his head.
"What do you mean?"
"You just pretended to not know who I was talking about, then you openly mentioned his name," he shrugged, taking a few fries and stuffing it into his mouth.
"Well you knew anyway," I mumbled.
"I'm your best friend, y/n. What do you expect?"

I glared at him across the table.
"To be a little more supportive and less blunt."

"Hey, I just told you that he checks you out too," he said, pointing directly at Yeosang.
"No! Lower your hand, Hongjoong!" I whisper-yell in panic.