seonghwa || nightmare

this is very short, sorry <3

____________________________________

A faceless person stood behind you, his hands firmly pressed against your back. You didn't have the time to escape his grasp when he suddenly pushed you down. The edge of the cliff on which you were standing faded away as you hit the cold, dark ocean waters. Submerged in the water, you struggled to swim back up to its surface. Untamed waves violently crashed against the rocky bottom of the cliff, threatening to slam you against them.

All your life you had been able to swim, but now your legs and arms felt like they were paralyzed. The natural elements were against you in every possible way. The wind pushed down on you from above, while the ocean's cold fingers dug into your skin, trying to drag you down. You fought to stay above water, to stay alive. You didn't want to drown.

You yelled out for help, but a wave washed over your head, momentarily trapping you in the ocean's harsh underwater prison. The weight of the water crushed down on you and you nearly choked on seafoam. Terror overtook your heart, as you once again tried to get oxygen. You wouldn't be able to keep up much longer.

Finally your body gave in, going numb. Slowly, you sank down into the water. You held your breath, but the deeper you sank, the more you realised how pointless it was to resist death. The sea was too strong.

Water entered your lungs, filling it up to the brim. The taste of salt, fish and tacky seaweed lingered on your tongue. You knew your end was near; no one could save you.

So you accepted your fate and closed your eyes, waiting for the endless dark abyss to consume you.

•••

"Y/n! Y/n, wake up." Your eyelids abruptly fluttered open upon the calling of your name. Amidst your uneven breathing, you were met with the warmth of Seonghwa's hand on your cheek. His hazel eyes were filled with concern as they bore into yours.
"Are you okay? You were yelling."

With great relief you realised it was only another nightmare. Your eyes momentarily darted away from Seonghwa's, afraid that you might be a burden if you told him about your recurring nightmare. But he had always been there for you, and assured you he'd listen, so it was no use hiding it away from him. Maybe it was better to share it with him than to keep it to yourself.
"I-I had another nightmare."

Seonghwa's eyes softened, showcasing his compassionate nature. He cared deeply for you, and didn't want to see you troubled.
"Do you want to tell me about it?" he quietly asked.

You didn't think twice before answering. "I drowned." You let out a sigh. "I was pushed off the edge of a cliff into the ocean. The current was too strong and I got pulled under. I was about to drown when you woke me up."
With uncertainty, you stared back at Seonghwa, who was frowning. He seemed to be deep in thought. "You know, I've had a dream like that before. Not exactly the same, but similar. I read up about it, and turns out I was overwhelmed by work. I felt like I didn't have control - that's why I couldn't escape the waters." He stayed silent for a few moments. "Is there something that overwhelms you?"

You thought about it for a moment. "I guess my studies and the part-time job are a bit overwhelming ... I-I don't know how I'm supposed to manage both." Your voice unintentionally cracked, and tears were now brimming in your eyes. Seonghwa was quick to wipe a falling tear away with his thumb.

"Hey, it's okay. You can do this. I believe in you." He smiled and caressed your cheek before he continued, "And if you ever feel like you can't keep going, I'll be here for you. I'll comfort and support you. Remember that. We're a team."

You took his touching words by heart, feeling very happy to have him by your side. A smile made its way onto your face. "Thank you. I love you, Hwa."
Seonghwa couldn't help himself from returning a smile and leaned down to place a kiss onto your cheek.
"I love you too," he whispered once his lips left your cheek. "Now come here."

With one swift motion he pulled you into his embrace. His arms wrapped around your waist as you snuggled into his chest. If you listened closely, you could hear his heartbeat.

The slow rise and fall of his chest and his rhythmic heartbeat was enough to calm your mind. In his arms you felt safe, like it was just you and him against the world. Nightmares couldn't haunt you, nor could the struggles of reality.

Because right now, he was your escape.