Chapter Ten - Its unravelling

You had fit into life in Vienna easily. And everything ran smoothly. Your new team was great. Sam, he was the sweetest. Always checking up on you, walking back to your apartment with you, taking you to dinner and just being an amazing friend. You were working late at your office, filing some last minute paperwork, when you heard Sam open the door. “Hey Sam, what’s going on?” 

“Did you get your invite from Nat and Bucky yet?” he asked you, taking the seat opposite you and helping organise all the completed files. You didn’t realise Nat and Bucky were all ready sending out invites. Wasn’t it kind of soon? 

You shook your head, “No, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t invite me,” you smiled at Sam weakly, “I mean would you invite me if you were in their position? I wouldn’t,” 

“I can take you as my plus one,” said Sam, making the conversation lighter. You laughed and shook your head. You wouldn’t go anyway, not if they didn’t invite you. That would make things so much more awkward. Not to mention the fact that you didn’t want to go anyway. It was Bucky. The guy you still loved. 

“When even is it?” you asked 

Sam looked away, out the window. So soon then. “A month,” he said quietly. A month. They were getting married in a month? Okay. That was so much sooner than you were expecting, “I was expecting it to be longer too,” responded Sam, when you said nothing. 

You sat in silence for a while. No you didn’t want to think about Bucky, yet he was all you could think about. You placed the pen down on the file you were working on, resting your head on your hand. “Do you think I walked away too quickly?” you asked Sam, he turned to look at you, his brow furrowed. 

“I think you deserve better than him,” said Sam, standing up and placing the files in the cabinet. He turned to leave, “You deserve someone who will drop everything for you,” 

And then he was gone. 

------------------------

“All the invites have been sent out,” said Nat, walking into the kitchen. Steve and Bucky were mid conversation after training. Steve sent Bucky a confused glance, who sent him one back. Just yesterday Sam had asked him why Y/n wasn’t invited. An invitation wouldn’t have gotten to Vienna that fast. 

Steve shook his head, “Sam said Y/N didn’t get her invite,” he said. Bucky looked down at the kitchen surface, and Nat looked away. Steve glanced between the two of them, “You didn’t invite Y/N?” 

“It would be weird,” said Nat, both her and Bucky avoiding looking at Steve. Who seemed to be more upset about it than you. 

Steve stood up, “She was your best friend,” 

“Steve just leave it alone,” said Bucky, still looking down. Not looking at Nat either. It was like he was hanging his head in disappointment. And to be fair, it was all his fault. It was. But he didn’t seem overly thrilled about the fact that you had left. He still seemed to be… hung up on you. 

Nat grabbed some water from the fridge, “Look whatever you say won’t change our minds,” she looked at Bucky who had no reaction, “I have to go,” she kissed Bucky on the cheek, who tried forcing a smile, before leaving.

Steve waited for Bucky to say something, he didn’t. “So are you gonna tell the truth now?” he asked. Steve just knew. He knew that Bucky was still in love with you. “Look Bucky, is this what you want, do you really not want her to be there?” he just couldn’t imagine Bucky and you never being together again. You were perfect for each other.

“No,” 

-----------------

You were working late again, the next day. The whole day you had spent pushing Bucky to the back of your mind. He was getting married. It was over. You needed to get over it already. “I spoke to Steve,” said Sam, coming in. You looked up from the new case file you were working on, trying to decide on a team to take the mission. 

You nodded, scribbling down another name. Don’t think about Bucky. Well now you were thinking about him. “I knew they wouldn’t invite me,” 

“Im sorry,” 

“It’s fine,” you said, even though it wasn’t. It wasn’t fine. Once he had married Nat that was it. You’ve definetly lost him. “It’s fine,” you didn’t know who you were trying to convince. Probably yourself. 

Steve looked at Bucky, who was looking at an email from the venue company. “What are we going to do about this sitatuin?” he asked, Bucky looked up, shutting off his phone. A tiny part of him was annoyed at Steve for brining it up. “You know? You and Y/N?” 

“There is no situation Steve,” he said, raising his voice, “It’s over, okay, it’s just over now,” he shouted. Almost like he was shouting at himself. Neither him or Steve heard Nat open the door to see what they were arguing about. If he’d have known, he’d have bit his tongue. But he didn’t.

Steve narrowed his eyes, “Is it though?” he said, Bucky sighed, “You know you love her,” Bucky looked up, staring at Steve. A hard glare. He didn’t love you. He couldn’t. It was over. He didn’t love you. 

“It doesn’t matter, I’m marrying Nat,” he said quietly. Steve said nothing. 

Nat walked out, tears in her eyes, the door slammed behind her. Both Bucky and Steve turned to see who it was. No one was there. Someone knew. 

Oh shit.